Killing the Kids!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by womby, Dec 14, 2004.

1. womby

womby New Member

We are experimenting with Boer Goats and have had Capretto (3/12) and it's been fantastic and has made us real fans of goat meat. We have 2 others which are now 4/12 old (neuted bucks) and was hopeful that someone could tell us what age would be best to have these killed for personal consumption. Our reading suggests different ages and even more confusing is that the term 'Chervon' suggests different ages by different authors. Help on this would be appreciated.

2. Baaa

Baaa Active Member

Our wethers have pasture all season until winter, we sell or eat them as we dont want to have to feed them all winter. Ours are 80 pounds at least and under a year and about 9-11 months old.

3. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    I just butchered a 6 mo. and 13 mo. old. I grass fed only.The slaughter house owner said this was really remarkable meat! People here think you have to pen animals and let them gorge on feed to make them fat and tender!
    We where a bit worried the meat wouldn't taste good.What a surprise.We love the roasts and chops.
    The two hung for 12 days before I cut them up. The 13 mo lamancha dressed out at 69 lbs. the other 6 mo. was a 1/8 Boer at 40 lbs.
    We find no difference in tenderness or flavor. Healthy and happy eating to you!!!

4. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

We butcherd a 2mo old buck just do it correctly (cut testicles off first) and a 2yr old wether the same day. The 2yr old was tougher than the 2 mo old but slow cooking did the trick and was wonderful for fahitas or barbacue and even as roast. Would also grind up great for sausage.

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I'm just curious. By "Capretto" do you mean "Cabrito"? Or is capretto something I don't know about. Just thought I would ask. Down here goat meat is cabrito and no one i know calls it chevron or whatever. I only see that in goat books. You meet many a little goat stuck with the name "Cabrito" until his time has come. Old goats make good sausage, i agree, especially if ground up with a little pork. Young goats can be eaten at any age. I wether mine at two weeks or so and have never eaten a buck. Wouldn't want to eat an old buck unless I was pretty darn hungry.

6. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

I think capretto is the Italian version of cabrito.

Nick

7. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

I've always been told around 6 mos. It's not economic to keep them to maturity and the meat is much more tender. I'm a newbie myself so I'm only relaying information from friends and mentors...but at least they all agree...

8. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I was guessing Capretto was another language's way of saying little goat...since that is what cabrito means in Esponal.