Killing Poison Oak in large area

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mary,tx, May 28, 2004.

1. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a large area, perhaps two acres under the trees on our spread that has a *lot* of poison oak. I had mowed the area to rid it of brush, etc., but in addition to the grass, flowers, briars, and weeds, etc., growing back there are a lot of large patches of poison oak. Is there something that won't harm the grass, but go after PO, perhaps a broad-leaf herbicide? I bought a bottle of Poison Oak Killer at Wal*Mart, but after mixing up the 8 gallons from the 32-oz bottle, it didn't go very far. I don't mind mixing a lot up (I have a 15 gallon sprayer), I just don't want the large expense. The area is not fenced for the goats and there are some young trees I don't want the goats to eat (and I don't want to chase goats all over the countryside when they get bored).
    Dale (DH of Mary, TX)

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

how about heat killing them use a flame thrower that will kill the stuff

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

2,4,D cheap and will not kill grass. Buy at a farm supply and not at Lowes or WalMart
    PS do not plant any tomatoes nearby while spraying

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank-you for your response, but to burn Poison Oak would make everyone around you very upset. The "resin" is not destroyed by heat and is only carried with the smoke--very bad news if you or someone you care about should inhale the smoke.