Killing our hogs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by chrisntiff, Nov 10, 2006.

1. chrisntiff

chrisntiff Well-Known Member

I do not own a .22 rifle and was wondering if I can use my .40 cal pistol to do the deed. Im just worried I will make a mess of things with that large a caliber at close range. Maybe this will be a good excuse to pick up that rifle! Thanks,

Chris

2. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Hey Chris,
    Let me know how it goes. We're taking ours to the butcher in early December. Might do it at home next time.

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Hey, any excuse to get another gun is a good one. :p But if you don't want to do that the .40 cal handgun will work fine. You're gonna shoot it in the head, and that's the only thing you're gonna "mess up". It'll make a big hole, but it won't hurt a thing.

4. chrisntiff

chrisntiff Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Ty.

5. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

I read a study, pertaining to cows, that said it was not a good idea to spread neural matter throughout the system as happens with shooting. They suggested the best thing was captive bolt stunners. I would think that a larger caliber shot would be more of a problem than a smaller caliber shot. Sorry but I don't have a link to the study.

For pigs the best thing is supposed to be electric shock but that is rather specialized. A tap on the head works well hence the term, Knocker.

Our slaughter guy uses a hollow point .22 caliber single shot rifle. He has dropped every one of ours instantly. The animal is dead at that time. He then has about 10 to 11 seconds before hyper-oxygenation sets in and the body starts reflexive kicking. During this time he rolls it on its back, folds back one foreleg at the wrist with his knee and left hand. With his right hand he uses a 6" knife to cut in just above the top of the sternum between the collar bones and up severing the artery just above the heart. This produces a huge gush of blood. He says the trick is not to hit the heart which is still beating. The goal is to maximize bleed out to get the best meat quality.

He lets the pig bleed out before raising it up in the air and hanging it head down by the back legs with a chain to be washed off and then gutted & skinned.

He is good.

6. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Highlands makes a good point. Especially with an older steer or cow you would not want to "scatter" the brain or other neural matter as that is where BSE would be located in an infected animal. I'm not aware of any equivalent disease in swine. That doesn't mean there isn't one; I'm just not aware of it if there is. If you wanted to limit this possibility just in case, you could either borrow a neighbor's .22 or shoot from the side into the back of the ear angled toward the front of the hog's head. A .22 would be preferable, but lacking that, I would use what I had and make the best of it.

7. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

When I first started raising pigs I would use a 357 with a 38 load.....it did knock them down plenty hard but I felt it killed them too fast with the heart stopping too quickly for a good bleed.......went to a 22 pistol and as long as you use a long rifle round not a single problem......

8. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I used a 40 Glock last time we did a few hogs, just because I wanted to see how it worked. Worked fine, they fell over, I stuck them, they bled, I ate them. I used some Remington 150 gr factory loads that came with the gun.

9. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

If your hog is approachable & easy to handle there is no need to shoot him, you can catch one of his back legs & hoist him up just to the point where his front feet barely touch the ground. He will concentrate on trying to maintain his balance & be quite occupied. then you can just stick him & let him bleed out, this will create a very good bleed as he wont be dying from a head shot & his heart will continue to beat until there is nothing left.
    By the way ,,, if people read this & say this sounds like a longer crueler way to kill a hog it is not, once you cut the jugular vein & stop the blood flow to the brain the pigs "feels" nothing, once you take the brain out of the equation no animal or human for that matter can feel anything since that is where the pain is sensed.
    It does take acouple more minutes for the hog to actually expire though, so if your looking for the quickest way to get it done shoot him, if your looking for the best meat in the end then hang him & stick him.
    I wouldn't suggest using anything as large as a .40 cal to do it though, your libel to send the bullet into his neck or chest cavity & creating a large mess.
    Rick

10. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

I used a 9mm pistol. It knocked them right out. But not apart as I think a 40 might do. But as was said you have to cut them quick. Cause once they start kick'en you wont be able to and it really needs to be done.

11. ericakc

ericakc Well-Known Member

As you pointed out the jugular is a vein; this means it is bringing blood which has already been through the head (keeping the brain alive) back to the heart. Then as blood volume is decreasing, blood is diverted from non-vital parts of the body to vital parts including the brain. I'm not sure how long a pig would maintain consciousness, but cutting a jugular is not instant brain death.

Also, this method would surely cause an adrenaline release which some suggest gives the meat an off taste.

I like Tyusclan's suggestion of shooting so the bullet doesn't travel into the meat or body cavity.

Chris, a previous thread may be of some help what do I need to know?

12. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

My experience with a .22 is that shot placement it CRITICAL. I use the .22 because letting a .303 round rip 600 feet from a major road and 300 feet from a golf course is sure to attract attention. The .22 is discrete, and will do the job, but if I had the option, I would opt for something bigger.

I have analyzed pig skulls after being shot, (cleaned off perfectly for me by my willing dogs) and have found that the .22 penetrates the brain cavity, but doesn't leave the other side of the skull. The brain on a 250 lb hog is a little bigger then a golf ball, thus the critical shot placement. When shot perfectly, the pig suffers catastrophic brain damage, and is without doubt instantly brain dead.

I fail to see how a bigger slug could kill a pig any deader then a correctly placed .22. I would think a .303 slug slightly off center would likely shatter the pigs skull, cause massive brain injury and leave the bottom of the jaw with enough energy to kill two more pigs.

There is nothing worse then chasing a pig around the pasture trying to hit it properly with the second slug. Trust me, I know.

Pete

13. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

A shot from behind to the base of the brain stem will kill them instantly and not spread any matter into the body. I had to euthanize a Newfoundland once that had been hit by a car and shot him in the head with a 44 mag rifle and the bullet never left his head at all. But any excuse to buy a rifle should always be used!!