Killing grass/lawn

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, Apr 20, 2006.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Need suggestions for non chemical killing of lawn/grass area without actually hoe-ing out each clump of grass...... :help:

2. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

There's a variety of ways to smother it to death. Cardboard or newspaper with mulch on top will work. Or black plastic might be quicker.

3. suelandress

Will it come back to life after I remove the cardboard?

4. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

What is the end purpose of the patch of grass in question? If it is to be a garden, flowerbed or something, you might want to consider leaving the cardboard or paper there and building your soil on top of it. If you choose to till it first then cover it it will keep the weed and grass seeds from germinating. But yes, if you kill the grass with cardboard or paper or plastic and then remove it then most likely it will grow back. If you plant something and then mulch heavily then you might stand a chance, the idea is to not let sunlight get to the weed and grass seeds to germinate.

5. suelandress

It's going to be a flowerbed...an area about 30x30....too big to dig and pull!!

6. Hovey Hollow

What is the quality of the soil? Are you going to need to add stuff to it? Till it? Or bring in new soil? You might want to look into Lasagna gardening. That's the easiest thing to do if you don't have to machinery to till and if you have access to plenty of compost and mulch materials. In that case you would put down layers of wet newspaper, cardboard, etc down and cover with layers of compost, peat, leaves, grass clippings, etc. You can plant directly into these layers and then mulch heavily to keep weeds from reappearing. You can find lots of info by googling Lasagna gardening or you can check out the book at the library.

If you have really good soil and don't need to do alot to it in said spot you may try the black plastic for a few weeks and then when you pull it up try putting down weed barrier cloth and then cutting through it to plant you plants.

7. Hovey Hollow

Also meant to ask if you are trying to be organic/natural, etc. If not Round-Up would kill everything, but leaves no residual effects so it could be replanted after everything was dead. I would think you would still need to use weed barrier cloth or heavy mulch, etc. to keep it from coming back.

8. suelandress

We are organic, but couldn't use RoundUp even if we weren't....the area is inches from our shallow well....
    I guess I'll go with the lasagna layering....have done that with veggie gardens in the past.....just was hoping for something that would permanently take care of the grass.....someone once said that vinegar will kill it, but that didn't work for us....

9. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

Vinegar wilt the tops, but they grow back, UG!

I am trying with paper feed bags over my grass for now, and darn it if that crabgrass isn't still trying to come up. I think I will layer over it so it really gets no air, nothing but H2O.

kids

10. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I have used this method alot and it works great.! I just lay down thick cardboard or layers of cardboard the season BEFORE I want to plant...then put all the grass clippings, sawdust, manure, etc on top-make it a thick layer like 6-8" and water it well-then just let it sit. . the fall and winter rains will "finish it up". By next spring the cardboard is decomposed and everything else is too! I did this last year with a 16X16 ' area for strawberries and this spring when I went to plant the berries there was an earthworm in almost every hole I dug! :)

11. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Lay a cover of clear plastic over it for a couple weeks of sunshine. It will kill everything in the soil, seeds and all. You will start with a steril patch of earth.