killing,cutting,wrapping????

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by chrisnev, Jun 6, 2005.

1. chrisnev

chrisnev Well-Known Member

We recieved a 400lb pig and are going to have it butchered.We are not set up yet to do it ourselves yet and they need to get rid of this pig. We called the local slaughterhouse and they said for everything,kill,cut up,and wrap is $275.00 Does that seem steep to anyone else? We are in Maine..

2. gleepish

gleepish Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know because I've never looked into butchering costs but man o man... what I would do to get that much meat for such a small amount of money--compared to what I pay in the store that is! :)

3. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

We pay $40.00 to have ours butchered that we are selling (since we are not state inspected) and it is 35 cents per pound cut and wrapped the portion that is smoked is 65 cents per pound cutting and wrapping. Seems a bit high - we are in VT and had 2 pigs done for customers and paid around $380 (if memory serves me correctly) for the 2 to be all processed.

$275 for a free pig - dicker if you want or find another. Also check their reputation with customers you see coming and going at the shop. - make sure they don't have a "trap door" policy = where they sneak some of your meat or swap yours for one that is old or sick or pure fat. Are they state inspected?

4. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

That seems quite abit high to me ,,, our prices this yr are as follows,
    $30.00 killing fee
    $0.45/ lb cut & vacumn packed & frozen dressed weight
    link sauage is $0.35 /lb extra
    Bacon & ham curing is $0.29/ lb extra

That will work out to about $217.00 on your hog, if he dresses out at 275 lbs,that is $0.72/ lb all told, your quote is $1.09 if i do my math right.
    Personally i would ask for a break down of there pricing & see where that gets you.
    I've never paid a flat rate for butchering on any animal from any reputable butchering facility.
    Still not bad for all the meat your getting ,, but you could do better with some checking around i think. Then again we are currently in NC & prices may be different up there in the new england states.
    Good Luck
    Rick

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

That is too high IMO.
    Here is another approach
    Lets say you kill him! Cost is one bullet and some time
    You skin the animal....Cost is zero
    You save the two shoulders and the hams
    You save the twp tenderloins (eye of the porkchop)
    What you have left is sausage meat and some pork ribs plus fat....Value is very little
    Now, you still have $275 and what you have rendered is two hams that you can have cured or you can haggle into roast....either way it is edible meat that you can hardly screw up,
    You have two shoulders that you can trim and have pork roasts....again meat that you cannot screw up
    You have two tenderloins of pork, pure lean meat that you can cross slice and no way to screw up
    You give the residual to some worthy person and let them do with it as they please, some may think it is wasteful but you have spent no money and you have all the choice meat from a free hog.
    You have saved enough money to buy 1/4 of a beef from the market and you now have some butchering experience. :)

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

is this a one time thing, or are you planning on raising your own meat? because for just a little more you could buy a stainless steel electric meat saw with grinder, and also get a vacuum sealer

7. mink

mink Well-Known Member

i like your way of thinking....mink

8. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

We pay $20 kill fee and .39cents /# to butcher. I can't remember cure. Sausage seasoning is $3/# I believe. Our hogs dress at about 67-70%liveweight. If this dresses at 60%, that is 240# of meat.
    This isn't a boar is it???
    I think that it is a good enough deal. Especially if you don't have the facilities to do it yourself.
    What VTfarms said is correct about trap door.
    My uncle bought the grand champ steer at the colorado state fair one year, brought it to our local processing plant and when he got the meat back...he said there was no way this was 4-H fed steer...USDA came in and investigated, did a bunch of tesing and sure enough....not the steer. We now drive 1.5 hours one way for our processing...it is that good and economical. We sell custom butcher hogs to people an deliver the hogs to this plant for them as part of the price. I like to take business away from our local plant since they are crooked.

9. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

Most of the prices already quoted are cheaper than what I pay, but $275 still seems high to me. I pay around $40. for slaughter, .50/lb. for cut and wrap.

10. chrisnev

chrisnev Well-Known Member

I am so happy I wrote into here..I have looked around and ..we are so excited..we found a mennonite farm that will do it for us and he charges 150.00 for everything!!!! Sausage/.30 lb and a little extra for smoking but nothing near what it was..and it is sooo clean.They are wonderful people so friendly and nice. Thanks for all your input..and Im glad we just didnt settle for that price. Thanks again...Chris

11. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

How do they know, what is the proof? If I take a regular market hog to the processing plant, how would I know if they switched it? (not questioning the validity of your story, just want to know...)
    Thanks.

12. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

Way high to me.

13. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I try to make sure all my pigs going to a slaughterhouse get ear notched for identification. With beef, it's more difficult.

14. Brad549

Brad549 Member

Thats the way we do it here in Indiana. Take it to the Menonite slaughter house for 150$ its not worth your time to slaughter yourself, kill skin quarter freeze then cut and wrap. Not ever again. Plus my wife heard me shoot the last hog I butchered and she flat refused to eat it for weeks i dined on pork alone.

15. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

Here in So. Oregon we have several butchers nearby. The one we've (and our neighbors) use charge $40 to kill and dress out a hog, 33 cents for cut and wrap and 36 cents for smoked. As for honesty, this town is pretty small, if anyone's dishonest- word would sure get out quickly and then they'd not be around much longer!

16. lshields

lshields Member

Brad549,

I live in Southern Indiana (Memphis) and would like to look into getting a Mennonite farm to butcher my hogs. Do you know of any in my area? I know there are alot of Mennonites in the Scottsburg area.