Killing Blackberries

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beststash, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

I am looking for an effective way to kill Brazos Blackberries - I have them going in the middle of a beautiful wisteria and I am sick and tired of pulling every year - what a pain.....
    I have tried roundup concentrate on new growth - just turns the plant red and it continues, I have tried 912 herbicide - no effect. Does anyone know of a solution for blackberries that really works???
    Please help (he said with scratched arms)
    Thanks!!

2. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

A foliar spray of Tordon will kill them and about any other woodyish perennial.
    Multiple sprays of some of the brush killer will kill also. Hit them with these when the spring leaves have emerged, then hit them again when they first start to come back.

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

when they start to leaf, pour organic vingar on them , and then bleach. that is how I got rid of some. then dig roots, and pour bleach on them ./

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

These are in the middle of the wisteria that you want to keep?

Everything I can think of to kill blackberries will also kill the wisteria. Except for digging out the blackberry roots if you can tell them apart from the wisteria. I run my goats and sheep in the areas that brambles tend to take over, but they'd eat the wisteria as well as the blackberry.

They are just a horrible weed, aren't they?

5. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

The best way to get rid of them is try to cultivate them :D I bought twenty red raspberry plants from Gurneys a few years ago, carefully prepared a bed for them, and followed all the book recommendations. You would think they would have prospered, especially since they grow wild all around me. NOT, within two years they were all dead.

6. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

The best way to kill blackberries is to cause them to over produce massive full ripe fat berries with plenty of fertilizer, water and just the right shade / sun mixture. Plus loving touches and soft humming poems to get them in the mood.

Pick the berries, make a mellow wine, drink said wine becoming even more mellow yourself.

Somewhere in the process, your Karma will blend with the blackberry in an intelligent and eloquent attempt to articulate the premises of an emerging Inner Tranquility to define the parameters of a Ddharma Practice appropriate to the new situation.

7. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Well sort of along the lines of what Cosmic said, without as much pixie dust applied....

Eat them into submission!

J

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Akin to eat them into submission: Icelandic sheep will take those brambles down in no time.

Along, you understand, with everything else... but the brambles will be gone!

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Why would anyone want to get rid of free blackberries?!?!?!?

Our blackberries go to makin' the best BB brandy around.

10. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

we have a lot of them i would love your recipy

11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Take a liter bottle of brandy that is half full (of brandy). Pour in 1 cup of sugar. Shake to dissolve. Then, fill the rest of the bottle with fresh blackberries. Allow it to sit for a month before consumption. That's it. Drink the elixer and use the blackberries on ice cream.

12. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

Remove and relocate the wisteria, cultivate the blackberries where they grow. If you can't lick 'em, join 'em.

13. oneditto

oneditto Member

sell the plants on ebay...i love berries! :p

14. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

i'm really glad everyone has chimed in about how good it is to have a good blackberry patch. they're a real pleasure to snack on for everyone, especially the kids. My kids made preserves with them and gave the preserves as gifts last year.
    I also understand that it's a pain to have them growing in a place where they makes your life less fun to live. I'd suggest cultivating a patch where it works for you and where they do well.
    As for the ones in your wisteria....and if you're not opposed to going the organic route....snip them off at ground level with loppers and remove all you have cut. Then the roots will need to expend some energy to grow more shoots. In a few weeks or so, snip them again and remove what you've cut. Over the course of several months (or however long it takes) the roots will weaken from using up their energy. Eventually, they'll either just die, or be small enough that you can pull them out by grasping a shoot and pulling. It's important to take away the briars each time so it isn't an unpleasant task to go in the next time to snip off the newly formed shoots.
    And for Cosmic's sake... talk to the plants, let them know you love and respect them and welcome them and respect their right to live as much as you do your own. Tell them you appreciate their fruits on your land and ask them to do you the favor of growing in the place that suits all of your needs better. Read them books about permaculture.
    ray

15. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

We've got wild blackberries everywhere. Prescribed fire will get them, and the wisteria. Goats will eat them, and probably the wisteria. FYI, wisteria is poisonous to cattle, I wouldn't let my goats eat it. 2-4D mixed with deisel fuel will kill both also. You'll have to dig up and move one or the other I'm afraid. Wisteria is beautiful, but on my place, I'd have to keep the berries. In fact, we planted 70 new "tame" plants last Spring.

16. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

where do you live? I would love some, I would dig them up for you, if icould keep them . I love black berrys. yummy.

17. jefferson

jefferson fuzzball in the Cascades

I'm with Ray, just keep after them. You are mobil, they are not. Just keep after them. My first year here was berry hell. I cut, burned, dug. Next year was better (no thick vines) the following even better. Been a long time now and I do have the upper hand. I walk my yard all the time (I am one of those idiots who still talk to my plants) and when I see a shoot, I STOMP the crap out of it. Get them while they can't fight back, kick them often. Over time it works. My yard (the part I claim over the wild part outside my fence) is berry free. I WON, I WON!

18. ttryin

ttryin Well-Known Member

Blackberries ripen just when the liver wants to get rid of the last of last winter's heaviness and continue to berry to start storing sunshine for the coming winter. Blackberries taste different each year reflecting the local rain and sunshine, being nature's medicine gift for the summer we are having.

And I sure love wisteria!

T.

19. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Every year DH goes out and lops the canes off and beats the stumps to a pulp with a pulaski. Within 2 weeks, fat new canes are growing about 2 feet a day...and we don't get berries.

This year we let the ground go fallow, no cultivation, no planting, no pruning. I talked DH into not lopping the canes. My fruit trees are lost in the blackberries, but we have BERRIES!!!!! Almost 2 gallons a day. We have planks layed over the tops so we can pick the huge juicy ones that are out of reach.

When the berries are done, we need to figure out a way to get rid of them without killing the fruit trees. As much as I love fresh blackberries, I would love to be able to pick pears and plums, too.