Killer mama bunny

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by mamabunny, Dec 9, 2005.

1. mamabunny

mamabunny Member

:help: I bought 3 New Zealand Reds in Aug. Their previous owner didn't touch them so they were pretty wild. One would attack my buck, so she went bye bye. The other 2 would breed and then one killed her babies. They were about 4 weeks old and she killed them. Why? My other red missed so I bred her again and she justed killed her week old bunnies. Both were their first litter. Did I do something or are they just plain mean mamas?

Thanks
    mamabunny

2. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

what are you feed you Rabbits and also how old are these rabbits

3. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Makes me wonder if this isn't the reason the previous owner let them go? If it were me, I might give them another chance. If they do the same, it's off to freezer camp, and I'd be out looking for replacement does.

Unless. . . . .something such as a predator caused them an awful fright or something? I can't picture mamas killing their 4 or 6-week-old offspring, though. Unless. . . . .they're too crowded together in a cage that might be way too small ? ? ?

Just wondering. Just my two cents.

NeHi Mama

4. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Ooops, sorry. I just reread your original post, and see that the two litters killed were 4 weeks old, and one week old. The interference of a predator or other animal might cause a mama to kill her week-olds, but I can't imagine one killing 4-week-olds. I'm just as stumped as you are.

I'm sorry for your bad luck, too.

NeHi Mama

5. mamabunny

mamabunny Member

The does were about year old. They were fed Nutrena Nature wise since weaned. They had a 24x24 cage at least with a 24x12 nesting box added onback. There was no predators as they were in my garage. :bash:

6. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Mama ,, Well hopefully because they were in the garage ,, there were no predators ,, snakes and rats have been known to come inside the securest of places and then leave again ,,, :eek:

but I'll throw out a opinion here on your cages if I may ,, if your red new zealands were the size of the one doe I had ,, a 24 x 24 inch cage is barely big enough for a single rabbit to live in ,, (you don't want to count the nestbox space because you don't want the doe staying in it)

I don't think overcrowding would have been an issue with the 1 week olds ,, and I've never heard of a doe killing her 4 week old kits :confused: I can see where you are puzzled ,,

I do think tho ,, that if you are going to breed new zealands ,, of any color ,, you need a minimum cage size of 24 x 36 even better would be a 24 x 42/48 if a doe has a big litter a 24 x 36 will get crowded quick ,,

You could be right that might be the reason why the breeder didn't want them anymore ,, :bash: