Killed A Coyote With Mange Tonight

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tarot Farm, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

Tonight the hound was making such a fuss that I had to go out and see what it was. Well, there were some coyotes on the property going around behind the stables and next to the corral that I keep my Miniature Horse stallion at during the day.

There were at least 6 in this pack that I seen. Something about them didn't look right to me though, their fur did not look right to be more exact. Well, I got a big male with the first and only try. The rest took off into the cornfields. When I took a good look at him up close, I seen that he was about 'ate up' from mange! At least 3/4 of this animal had no fur on him. Around his neck and shoulders he had 'scratched himself raw'.
    Not any fur on his tail either. This is very bad! I know that it has to be mange. But what concerns me is if any of my livestock or animals will get it from these coyotes being so close to the corral, etc. I dumped bleach on the spot where he was down at.

This spring, there were some raccoons that had mange really bad. I have seen some squirrels that didn't have any hair on their tails too.

What can I do to keep my animals mange free?

2. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Last year, we ahd the same problem. The coyotes just looked terrible. Most were at best scruffy and at worst, bald as an egg. My female Great Pyr picked it up from a couple that she tangled with. The vet recommended dosing her with Ivermectin and that worked. She looked really rugged for a few weeks until her hair grew back.
    It is not a disease so much as a very tiny parasite or "lice like" bug. Apparently the Ivomec kills tham as they suck the blood from the dog's skin.
    Tana Mc

3. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

Our dog got this "sarcoptic mange" a few years ago from tangling with coyotes - according to our vet. He told us that this parasite can be transmitted to other animals and people and in people is is called "scabies" which I have heard is an awful itching torture.

The vet switched her heartworm meds to Revolution for a while and that got rid of it.

4. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

Our potbelly pig had mange when we got him. It took forever to get rid of it. How we didn't get it is beyond me. The vet said that since we have better hygeine than people used to the old and the very young are more likely to get it these days.

For dogs Happy Jack has a product for sarcoptic mange that works very well. But it stinks to High Heaven. Keep everything washed very well and clean out stalls often. Keep your clean animal bedding and food hay out of the same area the animals sleep. The live mites will bed in it and then return to eat from your animals and lay their eggs under the skin.

Ivermectin will work for mange in all of your animals. Just make sure you give the right dosage.

5. Tarot Farm

I seen four more coyotes this evening and they just sat there in the timber and watched the place....when all I was armed with was a plastic bucket of course!

Right now they are yipping to high heaven....there is a big thunderstorm heading this way...high winds and hail...just what I wanted to hear since I got to go pick up the DH tonight from work. I got all of the livestock locked up tight and safe in the stalls tonight.

6. Tarot Farm

Some one told me that 'sulphur powder' will get rid of mange too. Anyone know if this works? Is it poisonous to other animals?

7. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Where are you at in IL Tarot - I'm near I-90 at the stateline (see, I'm not saying border anymore). Our coyotes are healthy as all get out and we have seen more than one after 6:30 am. Lots of development in my area and as we are still in an "ag" area (but probably not for long), there is cover and food for them. Our dog is 46 1/2 lbs and the one in our yard Saturday morning was bigger than the dog. I know we've seen them more often this summer due to the drought - they do eat apples (we have a number of trees). We do not keep any pet food or water outside the house, pet water is in the garage (dog door where pets can get into the garage). Before an article in the Chicago Tribune, my husband wasn't worried about the dog but now he is. If you use Revolution on your dog, it will prevent mange but typically dogs that are pets aren't that prone to mange - we don't use it on our dog for this reason. Dang that reminds me we need to put on the tick preventor for the last time this season.

8. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Best watch out as to who you tell what you may (or may not) do. You may be exempt as you are a farmer who should be able to take down a predator. In my area (one of the fastest growing in the state and oh boy how I wish it WAS NOT), one is liable to be fined. I was surprised when they did not go after a local guy who shot a deer that obviously had CWD, I watch my "herd" for any signs of the disease (two of the bucks are HUGE as we have corn and beans around us too). The coyotes predators are long gone - bears et al and from what I've read, an 80-100 lb lab dog is no match for a coyote as he is street smart. Motion detector lights are suggested but in the country, they'd be going off all night. Coyotes are smart, they know when there is no trapping or hunting around them. My husband has seen one look both ways before crossing the road. Litter sizes depend on the amount of food and territory, more of both, larger litters. We had a mama with 6 cute pups one year, she'd bring them out into the shade near out back shed. We watched from afar but they are like domestic puppies, one real brave one who had to be herded back, tumbling around. If you have cats, barn or house, they are near the top of the food chain for coyotes. I don't know if bear urine etc. would repel them or not. And yes, any "kill" left in the area will be eaten as they dine on carion - omnivores they are. They go for easy prey and while I'm sure skunks aren't their favorite, they'll get them too. Long story short the other night our dog blasted through the bedroom screen door and we ended up with a small raccoon in our bedroom (such fun at 01:25 am) - got it out with no damage or mess. Mama and her juveniles must have been out roaming as we can't believe the dog would have missed getting this one as it flew right by her (my husband accused my cat of being out of control but she was shut in the laundry room). Earlier that night the coyotes were a-yippin and the raccoons were a-screamin. The joys of country life, even when you are technically within the village limits...

9. ChickenHound

ChickenHound Well-Known Member

Tarot & Selena, you must not be far from me; I'm also North Central IL.

Now that you've described this mange, I'm wondering if feral cats can get it. A few months ago, a feral cat wandered into our fenced back yard. The dogs found it, but it wouldn't/couldn't run from them. It slowly 'ran' maybe 100 feet, then hid under a rhubarb plant while they barked at it. When I found it, it was missing all the hair from its tail and most of the hindquarters. Patches of hair were missing from the rest of its body as well. The cat was terribly thin, and these red, bald spots looked like the animal had been scratching itself to bits. It clearly was on its last leg and I put it out of its misery, though I still felt awful about it.

We most certainly DO have coyotes too, unfortunately, and I so I wonder if that's what this cat had. BTW, these coyotes made off with 4 of my free ranging hens in broad daylight. :mad:

10. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am in mid Missouri, and all of my outside dogs had mange earlier this summer. I haven't a clue where they got it, as they seldom leave the chain link fenced yard. Two treatments with Ivomec took care of the problem. A word of warning, DO NOT use Ivomec on Collie or Collie mix dogs, it can be, and often is fatal to them.

11. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Did this "coyote" look like a Chupacabra? :eek:

12. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Just a note of warning about these Ivomec suggestions. If your dog is not being preventatively treated for heartworms and/or has heartworms but it is unknown, Ivomec will probably kill any breed.