Kiko goats ... anyone?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by papaw, Feb 22, 2005.

1. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

I'm not reading much about kiko's on here. Is there a problem with them? i understood they were a very harty animal and good to cross with others. Can anyone share what they know about kiko's?
    Thanks....

2. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Well, you've piqued my interest since we raise boers. I checked out a couple of websites on Kikos, but would like to hear from someone who raises them. BTW, we did pretty good this year on babies - 9 does, 4 bucklings! :p

3. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

I am looking at a boer / kiko mix to raise as a meat goat. Talk to me about the Boer goat business.

4. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Howdy
    I acquired a 1/4 Boer and 3/4 lamancha.He was bigger at 9 months than all my old goats.White with black head and shoulders.Pixie ears also.He bread nine of ten does.I got 14 babies,put them in a small pasture by the road,and so many stopped( no for sale signs had been posted at all)And I had to turn people away after raising my price to discourage buyers. Never had that happen with anything I raised before!!!! :haha:
    So far these colorfull chuncky babies are being spoken for already and they haven't been outside for traffic going past to see yet!
    Seven does gave me 14 ,two froze while I was at work 12 below zero.Five more to kid yet.
    I have my eye on a 7/8 Boer 1/8 Spanish meat billy 4 yrs. old.
    I hope he is like my 1/4 ,very little buck odor at all,thank heavens.
    Good luck
    Chas

5. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

From what I've read, the only problem is the price...

They would be my breed of choice. I think we're going to go with a single Nubian Doe for milk and probably Myotonic crosses for meat.

6. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

I was hoping to find a Kiko that was close (middle tenn.) so that I could buy it and cross it with my boer buck. We love our goats - all have good disposition - even the bucks although my older one gets a little testy if he's in with the girls too long (just doing his job I guess). I don't register any of them even though I have full blood and percentage. Both my bucks are 100% and so are a few of my girls. Last year we had several black headed babies which seemed to be what was really hot. This year we've got some dark headed ones, but more of a dark red than black. We've had no problem selling the babies and have only posted a sign out front (our house and barn sit approx. 2000 ft from road). This year, I've already had repeat customers wanting babies when they're ready to go. At this point we're not into trying to sell high and make a lot of money (although I do have 3 grand daughters of Eggsfile). If they pay for their meds and food, that's good - since we just started out, we had huge costs (2 barns, etc...) and are hoping to make some money back this year - it's only a hobby. I sell my doelings for $75 and the bucklings for $55.

7. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

If I remember right ...and I may not :haha: ... The best Kiko buck in the country is somewhere around the Smokies.

Thanks for the replies to my post. I was hoping to get alot of feedback and use it to help me decide between goat breeds. It looks like most on this site are into milk goats. Do the crosses (kiko or boer + milk goat) give enough meat for the sales?

thanks.....

8. billygoatridge

billygoatridge Well-Known Member

We have a 1/2 kiko 1/2 boer billy we used last fall on a few of our nubians. We are anxiously waiting for the kids to arive the end of March. We wanted a full kiko because of the hardiness and larger frame than most boers we've seen. But afordable kikos are hard to find so we settled with the cross. At 4 months he was already as tall as some of the yearling boers where we got him from.

9. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    A fellow in Jamestown TN raises Kiko's, or at least he did. Check with the Fentress Co-op, they can tell you who he is, or PM me.
    backwoods

10. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Check it out....I have been trying to figure out what kind of breed this guy is...and I think he's a kiko/pygmy mix. Strange mix if you ask me! He has alot of the traits of a Kiko, good forager, good mater, and very sturdy and solid. We should have about 5 babies this year from him. Just thought I'd post my 2 cents and see what others might think.

This one is my guy.....weighs about 45 pounds! He's tiny but very thick and stalky.
    http://www.seraphworks.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=My-Kids&id=kiko_dargo

This is a kiko buck.
    http://sheepandgoat.com/images/kikosire.jpg

Thanks for listening!

11. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I raise Boer and Lamancha. I have a 100% Fullblood Boer buck, I still need to send in his papers. He was so short as a baby last fall I could only breed him to my 50% Boer doeling. She produced one thick chucky 9 pound baby girl. I bred my LaMancha to my 3 other does, 1 Nubian/Alpine and 2 Lamanchas. I got a total of 5 does and 2 bucks which I have wethered. Next fall I will breed 5 does to the Boer and really start my herd. I will keep a small LaMancha herd for milk (I will have 6 heavy milkers next spring) and start increasing my Boer herd with the goats I already have. They are very meaty and seem to require MUCH less feed to pack on muscle and flesh. I can't wait til next year when I can put my Boer buck into more use. He has grown out very nicely on not much extra feed at all. He is of Mojo Majic, Suma. and DER Walt breeding. I got him from the barter board here from a very nice gentleman who posts here now and then. The price was far more resonable than I expected and I am thrilled with this goat. I too am interested in the Kiko breed.....Diane