kids scratching

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MillsFarmFamily, Jan 2, 2006.

1. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

One of our 2-1/2 week old kids is scratching behind its ear, sort of like you see a dog do when it has fleas. I have looked and looked, but don't see a tick, ants, or anything else that would be bothering it. Does anyone have any suggesstions?

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

where are you located? if your area is deficient in selenium your kid might need a BO-SE shot and vit.E
    susanne

3. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

I just posted about the same thing. I gave mine a Bo-Se shot the other day but they are still scratching but mine are scratching everywhere. I was thinking lice but I looked but can't see anything either.

Someone help us!! :help:

4. susanne

kim did you give vit.E too? it takes a coupple of days until you see improvement.
    i had the same happen to my kids, plus they were shaking thre head. i gave them 1/2 cc bo-se every other day twice and every day one content of a gel capsule vit E.

5. KimM

Oh, no I didn't know you should repeat the Bo-Se, and I thought the Vit E was already in there. I will start the E caps today and pick up another couple Bo-Se doses. My vet doesn't tell me much.....think I'll replace him.
    Thank you!!!!!

6. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Is there a chance your kid has lice? Sometimes they can be hard to see. I use Co Ral for lice.

7. susanne

usually a new born kid doesn't have lice.
    kim buy the 400 gel capsules from costco or walmart. snip the cap open and squezze it in the kids mouth once a day for a couple of days.
    normaly you don't repeat the bo-se. but if there is something wrong like head shaking or abnormal behavior than you can repeat it. you have a good vet, stay with him. i don't get the bo-se from my vet. always have to go to friends.

8. KimM

Yes I gave them Natural E 400 (from GNC) today. They're behaviour is normal, just seem itchy. Will repeat the E tomorrow. I think I will give the doe a cap too. I think I should not repeat the Bo-Se as the weaker kid is now caught up with the other one in activity. Boy are they fun to watch and play with!!

9. susanne

my milking does get one vit E at milking time with their grain.