Kids only nursing from one teat, other BIG...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jill.costello, Aug 25, 2005.

1. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

My two day old twins BOTH nurse from the same nipple; the other side is engorged! We milked it out to give the nanny some relief, and put the stronger kid on it, but she wasn't thrilled.(she did suck SOME, though)

Is this common? I always thought each kid picked a side.

The milk is fine from both sides (no flakes/lumps, etc; soft bag) and I tasted it (delicious!)

Should we keep milking to relieve the pressure? Should we continue to encourage the kids to suck from it?

Thanks! -Jill

2. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

Remember I have no experience since I just got my does...but from what I've read on theis GREAT forum I would suggest putting a bandaid over the used teat just to force the babies to nurse off the other side....It's just a thought....

Caren

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd milk her out all the way every evening until both sides are being emptied by the kids. Otherwise you're going to end up with the unused side drying up if not getting mastitis. If it were me, I'd put her up on the milkstand twice a day for awhile, put the kids up to her, to both sides, then milk her out. I expect they'll start nursing both sides before too long, but I wouldn't let one side go unmilked in the meantime.
    mary

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I had one do that this spring. It seemed to me that the engorged teat was uncomfortable for the kids to grab. I milked her out twice a day for a couple days, and kept the pressure off of it until they took over. It only took a couple days. I figured not only was it a mastitis risk, but would permanently damage what was otherwise a very nice first freshening udder.

Good Luck