kids mad at me for wanting to put up a tree

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by paulaswolfpack, Nov 30, 2006.

1. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

:shrug: dont know what do do? They know iam broke again this year as always since we moved here 3 years ago I try to tell them sorry but they think I can pay all the bilss and still have prestants wont work out I only make about $700. on my disabitly, and lets see $335.00 is morgate payment $124.98 home owners ins which they want on dec,1, and dec,31 so thats 124.98 times two, car insurace $170.00 and all my bills so no money left I dont know who to call for help with the holidays I gave up last year we live way out I might just pack all the decerations back up I was only looking for the 8 boxes of christmas cards any way. I have searched through the local papers online back to oct and cant find ads for helping even the salvation army in springfield told me I didnt live in their area they had needy familes in the springfield area not 100 miles out,so I should give up and stay in bed that day, oh and to top it off a new foodstamp worker new kid I had been getiing $250.00 in stamps then in Nov. they say I am only owed $55.00 now they cant count car ins even though its used for medical and cant count home owners when i pay twice in a month the add it up and divde by 12 go figure. well I my be down in the dumps but iam sure others have it worse. Just wanted to vent god bless you this season, paula

2. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

Try contacting the local churches and see if they will help out.

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

How old are your kids?

4. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Were you going to cut a little cedar or somthing? And How old are your kids.?

Angie

5. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

deleted just because I don't think I said it how I wanted it to be said, sorry

6. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

Is there a freecycle in your area? A request for a few age appropriate gift snd a tree just may make some kind spirited soul's christmas! I think if I saw an email for this I would go through the attic and see what I could give. Is there a local WIC office? I know people who get WIC in our area are invited to join the secret santa program. The health center where I bring my Grandson also asked if I wanted to be in the Christmas Stocking program (I did for my grandson/ward last year as we had four others to buy for, I may call and sign up again, he got a tricycle and other stuff) Call around to churches too. Maybe it is just my area but I can think of three different giving programs, one called angels and elves. I am so sorry you are having a rough go of it. :( I wish I could help.

7. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

How old are your kids? Boys? Girls?

I have some ideas but no use taking up bandwidth on the forum without enough background info.

MaryNY

8. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

Paula, go to www.angelfoodministries.com and look up to see if there is a church in your area that does this. I've been trying to call the one near us, (DD has had so many doctor appoint.s lately). You can get a box food of food that normally would run $60 or more for just $25.
    I know exactly what your feeling. DH and I don't have alot of income and our DD is disabled and their are restrictions.
    We had our house ins. due and they cancelled us because it was going to be a few days late. So we shopped around for another ins. company that would allow us to pay monthly. Our other ins. only did 4 payments a year at $133. And they only ins. our house for $30,000. We shopped around and got a new policy (which ended up costing us $200 a year more) more they cover our house now for min. of $72,000 and they would allow us to do monthly. Which is easier for us to do with much smaller payments.
    Your car ins. sounds expense a month? We pay $84 a month for full coverage on two vehicles. One being customized with a wheelchair lift.
    Check also with your kids schools to see if they have a program of some sorts.
    My DD school does an Angel Tree. But her name was taken off of it as another agency is providing us with a food basket and toys for her. We are thankful for that! Because after paying bills, etc. we weren't going to have money to buy DD any toys for Christmas either. And we haven't done food shopping (except for milk, bread and eggs) for almost a month.
    Cheer up, something will come through for you!

9. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

*please note that this is being "said" in a very kind and loving tone. This is not intended to condem or belittle.*

You might also try calling your local police, sherif or fire dept. We have a "Shop With A Cop" program here. Also, do you have a crossline churches in your area? We have them here and they are a place where all the local chruches send food, clothes and money to help the needy of the area. Each week one church is represented by volunteers from that chruch. Anyway, I got my tree for free from there last year, I was in the same boat. We used to go to the Dollar store to Christmas shop, we would each have a couple of bucks and every body knew that was the best we could do. Unfortunealty it seems that kids like mine and sounds like yours too, have to grow up a bit early. But that is not always a bad thing. Last year I was feeling so bad about it all and was blaming myself. It got so bad that I could not see a way out of it and just gave up trying. All I could do was complain, I didn't see that I could do something. When I finally figured out that I could so something it was very very empowering! My advice for you, if you where to ask me, would to start making phone calls and ask everyone you know. There might just be someone out there that can help. If you call one place and they say "no" ask them if they know anyone or anyplace else. HTH
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

10. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Here is alink tht has documents that list community resources. I didnt know which is your area. chekc with your local food bank listed there if thye arent doing Christmas baskets they will know who is.
    http://www.doc.mo.gov/publications.htm
    Also call your kids school counselor they should have information. Dont let your pride get you down for christmas. Kids still love christmas aven when times are thin.

11. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I am sorry things are so hard right now...how awful. Could you cut down a pine tree somewheres for a Christmas tree? We had a pine last year and it made a wonderful tree. :)

12. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

I work with the Angel Food Ministries in my area and a lot of the times if you contact them early and let them know you are in need they will give you a free unit. We have units donated by those a little more fortunate and we give them to those who can't afford it. Doesn't hurt to ask! And Decembers menu is REALLY good!

13. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

How old are your kids?

For older kids ( like adult sized) you could make a cookbook of the family favorites that they enjoyed over the years. Print them out and think of something creative to use for a cover.

For little ones, ask on freecycle for out-grown toys for a child age XYZ.

WHY didn't they want you to put up a tree??? If you can cut one from your own land, it costs nothing.

14. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

I am confused. Do they not want a tree because there will be no gifts or do they want a tree and you do not want to put one up because you no you can't provide more than the tree or are things so bad you can't even provide a tree?

Also how old are these kids?

15. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

We've had cedar trees for Christmas (free, cut your own), and did you know that some businesses throw out their Christmas tree on Christmas Eve? Got a honkin' BIG one one year from the dumpster at the Catholic church! You can go to a tree lot nearer to Christmas, find an ugly tree and bargin the salesman down. Put the tree in a corner, do what you need to make it stand, then decorate the devil out of it.

The only time it's a disaster is when you give up.

Mon

16. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Contact the LDS church nearest you right away. They have the second largest community service programs in the world and you don't have to be a church member to get help from them. They should be able to help you out with food, bill payments, christmas for the kids, etc. Tell them you were referred by Sister Smith from the Susquehanna PA branch, in the Scranton Stake. I am currently a non attending member and will do what I can to get you a little help. Breathe easy sister, we are all here for you.

PM me with your address and I will see what can be done from this end. Hope I can help.

17. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Put up the tree. Christmas should not be about the gifts but about the spirit of the holiday. Read about Laura Ingalls's prairie Christmas...they had very little, but still enjoyed it very much. Make gifts from stuff around the house or picked up from walks in the woods. Christmas is about love, not money.

18. Melissa

Melissa member

I have written before about a branch tree. Just cut a big bare branch, put into a bucket with sand or gravel to hold it is place. String the lights and decorate. It is actually very pretty and elegant looking.

You might check the thrift stores for artificial trees. They might even give you several that don't have all the parts and you can put one together out of them.

Even if you can't have a lot of gifts you can have a tree of some sort, a meal, maybe some cookies or other special dessert, watch some Christmas movies, go for a long walk together etc... If you can get a little cash, don't worry about big gifts, go to the dollar stores or thrift stores and just buy stuff for stockings. That can be a lot of fun and for less than $10 you can fill a big stocking with odds and ends.

Be creative and use your imagination, you will be surprised at what you can do with just a little ingenuity.

I hope you can find a way to enjoy the day. In the future you may look back and realize it was one of the best Christmas celebrations ever. You know, I can barely remember any gift I received as a child, but can remember having family and friends over and all the fun we had visiting and being together.

19. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

heck, you can even take a big sheet of paper and draw a tree. or tack up just the lights in the shape of a tree.

even young children can understand if there isn't a lot of money to go around. simple gifts, given from the heart, are always best. make it a home made xmas. bet your kids will always remember it with pleasure.

it's my opinion that americans spend faaaaar too much on the holiday anyway.