Kids - Do they ever shut up?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by hayzor, Sep 7, 2005.

1. hayzor

hayzor Well-Known Member

We've got 2 Nigerian dwark wethers (8 & 10 wks old) on the bottle. They squak all day long except when they are sucking on the bottle and for about an hour afterward. I can live with that for a while, but are they ever going to calm down and do their thing (cruise around the pasture and play w/ the human kids). They are also getting timothy hay.
    Will they settle down when they are weaned (planning on doing that in a few wks).

Thanks

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Maybe they're bored. Give them some toys to climb on and see if that helps. But otherwise, NO, they never shut up.

Ruth

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

do you have them on coccidia treatment? if they are noisy all the time something is not right. i have nubians and they are known to be noisy. but they are only if hungry or they see me and want to be petted.
    now they are coming in heat and are more vocal. but other than that it is quiet there.

4. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

What is your definition of quiet? Mine are vocal once in a while during the day, like whenever they see someone they like, or when it is dark out, or when they are hungry or thirsty. If you are bottle feeding, they see you as the mother, and are understandably stressed at any separation from you. Mine would quiet down whenever they could not see me, but if they heard my voice or saw me they would cry LOUDLY. Otherwise they were pretty happy to run around and wreak havoc. It is not natural for a mother doe to be away from her kids all day. The kids seem to need her nearby for reassurance and security. Besides that, they are nothing more than stomachs on legs at that age. They will mellow out when they are weaned.

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

boston screams if she hears me..... i have to walk andtalk lightly if i dont want her to scream at me.

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Every time I go outside the goats start screaming for two things, 1 to be petted and 2 to get more food. Of course when they get older they stop making a lot of noise, unless they have babies or just really like to be heard.