Kids coming soon, need advice

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Jan 6, 2005.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi all, this is our first kidding - yay!!! :p I'm all UTD on the info for deworming and CDT shots, but confused about Bo-Se. I am in central Wisconsin. Called the local vet today and asked him if we are deficient here, and he said yes, very, asked him if I should give shots and he said that'd be a good idea, cause they do for cattle. Okay, now what!? He said that the kids would get 1/4 cc on day one. Now, what I thought is that the mothers got the shot before birthing and only sickly or "slow" babies had to get the Bo-Se shots. I'm sorry to sound like an idiot, but it'd sure help to have a goat literate vet!

The first does are due Feb 5th and they are all fainter does and one boer - 85-100 lbs each.

Thanks much! Jenny

2. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

This is what I do I give all breeding stock does and bucks BoSe according to bottle instructions 30 days prior to breeding. I then give all bred does another shot 30days (sometimes 2wks when I have forgotten) prior to freshening. And I give all new babies either day 1 or 2 1/4 to 1/2 cc (depending on weight of kid)
    Your vet is probably thinking that your does have not had any so babies need it.
    Probably my babies may not need it because the does have had thiers but I give it anyway.
    Oh an after thought here. Some VETS won't give BoSe to pregnant does.

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

All my girls, get a shot of BO_SE, 4 to 6 weeks before they kid. all babies, get 1/2 cc, minutes after they are born. I live in michigan.