Kids are excited.

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by seedspreader, Apr 13, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

My kids are excited, the new pigs came yesterday. One boy and one girl. Of course, my oldest daughter got to name the girl and my oldest son got to name the boy. They are 6 and 4. So now we have new temporary residents, Bacon and Penelope!

The pig feeder I have them on is 6.50 per 50#. Should I just buy bulk and mix my self of is this the best way to go?

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

congrats on the pigs. I like to start my pigs out on a high protein diet. What is the protein of the feed you are giving them?

Having feed special mixed is the way we do it but it only saves a little BUT the mix has no medicines, hormones, and that is why we grow our own meat, to be free of this junk.

We are only raising three this season.

Good luck and have fun with them they are comical, just keep the fingers out of their mouths as I am sure you already know.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

As mentioned above get the protein in the 16 to 18% range and feed free choice. The weight you put on as small pigs is the cheapest growth you will get.

4. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

congrats! my first 3 pigs were named Ham, Sham ,and Japheth, by my daughter. By the bag is most expensive, but easiest, bulk is cheapest but you have to answer some storage questions, talk to your local co-op, feed store, or whatever. the most expensive way is still cheaper, and more fun than the alternative! feed and butchering are the greatest expenses cut them and you will be ahead!

5. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

Yep, you need to get a 18-20% high protein until they are between 60 & 70 pounds and then go with a 14-16% grower feed.

6. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

The man from my church who gave us these pigs and I slaughter and halve them. He butchers them in his basement. I am envious of his setup. Stainless steel counter tops, band saws, bone saws, quite the set up. He will be teaching me the butchering part. I think I have the slaughter (we skin them, no scraping) part down. I figure that by the bag was probably the most expensive, but it is where I am at the moment. Perhaps my costs will be offset by the home butchering.