kids are born

Discussion in 'Goats' started by susanne, Jan 9, 2005.

1. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i have a doe since about three weeks that came pregnant. i couldn't find out her due date. i gave her minerals, purina goat show and as much alfalfa hay she wanted. twice a day fresh water. the last five days she also got a handfull of calf mana in the morning and afternoon wich she liked very much. when she came to my house she was very thin, in fact so thin that i could see her ribs. she gained some weight no ribs to see but to feel. i thought that was good. i went often in the barn to check on her. yesterday i went in at about 1pm. there was no sign that she would come in labor. checked again at 4.30pm. by that time there were three kids. one mostly dry and standing, one still wet and laying on the ground and one still in all the fluids and sack around the back. last one was very cold and already dead :waa: i wish i would have been there.
    first kid is a boy and looks realy strong and healthy but the second one cannot stand on his feet. looks like his muskels are not strong enough. should i help or let him be? the doe is doing fine and takes good care of her babies.
    i probably would not ask if it would be a doe kid. i don't want to put a lot of money in a little buckling. how much is a newborn kid drinking and how often? how much colostrum could i take from her for emergency without letting the kids starving?
    susanne

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I don't have the answers to your questions, but wanted to say how sorry I am that you lost one kid and are having trouble with the other. I hope everything works out for you. Now that she has you taking such good care of her, I'm sure her next kidding will be better. Good luck and God bless.

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I am sorry to hear about the loss, but it sounds like you did everything you could. That last month is very crucial to the development of the kids and if she was malnourished when she came to you and pregnant with triplets, it is great two are alive.

A shot of BoSe is what I would give both of them. You can get this from the vet and at the same time get the correct dosage for your area. I just shot all of our kids born so far last night. One of them was very weak in the hind legs and he has since improved greatly.

As far as helping the weaker one. You might milk out some colostrum into a baby bottle (we use human baby bottles) and feed it to him, just to make sure he gets that. Did he get his initial colostrum?
    What kind of doe is this again? How many times has she kidded, do you know? If she is an older doe and has kidded quite a few times, you could probably take a bottle or so of colostrum to save.
    The kids drink little bits at a time fairly often.

4. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Yes make sure both kids are get their colostrum and if the one can't stand then into the house he goes (for me) and gets bottle fed at least until he can get around. let him have all the colostrum he will drink at one time, if it isn't much like only 1 or 2 oz then feed him every 2 or 3 hrs. once they start taking in the oz then I feed a 16 oz a feeding 4 times a day graduating to 20 oz and 3 times a day. but all this amounts depends somewhat on the kind of goat you have.
    Yes you need BoSe into both these kids as most likely with the mom being in the shape she was in she never got any prior 1/2 cc per kid.

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

thank you all. i will go to a vet tomorrow and see if i can get bose shots. problem is that no vet is around in my area that treats goats. i think i'm the only person in a radius of 25 miles with goats :rolleyes:
    the next vet who is taking care of goats i now of is 35 miles away.
    by the way, the little weak buck has improved. if i hold him on to his mom he is drinking good. is also more alert.
    gosh are they cute :D still sad about the doe kid. i hope this was the last kidding season were i don't know the due dates. still five does about to kid. but all are later in april. could i give everyone a bose shot in march?
    susanne

6. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Sondra, where are you located?
    I ask because in SE Ohio, I was told to give 1 cc per kid and 3 and a 1/2 cc for calves. We are fairly selinium deficient though. Not sure how bad Michigan is.

Danielle kidded this past year with triplets. We had to assist with the first two. Both those buggers tried to come out at the same time. :no: Dad finally convinced one to wait and the two bucklings were born. 45 minutes later our doe was born...dead. I attempted mouth to mouth but it was no use. Very aggravating when you lose a doe.

Some people give their does BoSe shots over a month before kidding, but we don't.
    We try to prevent with our feeding program. However, this year I am giving all the kids their 1 cc of BoSe after kidding.

Do you have a large animal vet? They are more likely to have a better clue than a small animal vet, since they work with other ruminants.

7. Sondra Peterson

I think the amount given newborns depends on the weight of the kid
    I live in TX and defiecient my heaviest kid was 4.5lb and usually they are under 2lb to 4lb. I forgot abt that fact earlier. DUH! I have ningi's and mini LaManchas born here.
    This is my schedule I give every breeding buck or doe BoSe according to bottle directions per weight of animal 30 days prior to breeding.
    I then give all bred does another shot 30days prior to freshening and I still give 1/4 to 1/4 cc to newborns.

8. Sondra Peterson

I think the amount given newborns depends on the weight of the kid
    I live in TX and defiecient my heaviest kid was 4.5lb and usually they are under 2lb to 4lb. I forgot abt that fact earlier. DUH! I have ningi's and mini LaManchas born here.
    This is my schedule I give every breeding buck or doe BoSe according to bottle directions per weight of animal 30 days prior to breeding.
    I then give all bred does another shot 30days prior to freshening and I still give 1/4 to 1/2 cc to newborns.

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Gosh Susanne with nearly 300 members of ADGA in Michigan, I bet you aren't as alone as you think. We could find you one to call and ask who they use for vetting. Just on this list FormyACD's is in Michigan and I know 2 other major dairy gals who also are in Michigan. You could perhaps find a local club at ADGA.org which would be a start?

Bo-se is 1cc per 40 pounds but that would be a very minimal amount, perhaps used if you don't know your selenium status, most use alot more and the 1/2 to 1 cc for kids is pretty common. I still use the 3.5cc per doe prekidding, no matter the weight because it was something I was taught, I do up this prebreeding. Once again like everything else unless you have all your mineral defficiencies taken care of you can't take care of selenium problems dietary, why we use the Bo-se in the first place, sure our grain and mineral mix contain selenium, but it takes a good deal of E etc., an your copper defficiency problems under control for it all to work together, so we bolster the selenium. Vicki

10. Guest today

Guest today Guest

Hi Susanne,
    Where are you located in Michigan, PM me, I am in Central Michigan close to Mt Pleasant.
    We are very deficient in BO-SE here and I have a bottle of it and get give you some for your goats..
    I can also give you the name and number of a great vet that works with goats and will sell you meds you need for your animals.
    He will sell it by the syringe or bottle, whatever you need...He knows his goats also ...
    We have also seen Copper problems here in Michigan
    Please PM me if you need help or meds, if this area is reasonable for you or maybe I can find someone in your area for you
    Barbara

11. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

Hi Susanne,
    I am in south central michigan, I would be more than happy to help you any way I can. I raise nubians.
    I am here all the time.
    email ne at debit@cablespeed.com
    I will help you any way I can.
    debi