Kids and veggies

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Anita in NC, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

Me, "How's that curried spinach Ben?"
    Ben, "Not good!"
    Me, "Well, I like it and I'm going to have some more."
    Ben, "While you're up can you get me some more?"
    Me, "You mean that spinach you don't like?"
    Ben, "Yes."

Ben, age 6, went on to eat a total of 3 servings of curried spinach :dance: and they wonder why I keep making them try new things. :p

He did cry last week though when he had to eat the rutabager. :shrug:

But has been eating the eggplant that we've had for lunch the last couple of days.

Next, I'm going to make him try turnips. :hobbyhors

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Your an evil mean wicked mother, what next - kohlrabi?

3. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

LOL!

I remember asking my Mom if we were so poor we had to eat wood :D She was cutting a rudabaga LOL! There hasn't been one in our house ever since LOL!

Katrina

4. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

I like my turnips and parsnips raw with ranch dip or french onion. My mil and I use to eat them fresh from the garden! I just can't eat them cooked!

5. reese

reese Well-Known Member

LOL Bad mom, for shame! I'm so very greatful my kids actually LIKE veggies and are willing to try new ones, even if their first reaction is ewww gross. When we watch cooking shows, kids ask if I can make something like that (whatever is being made). We love to experiment and sometimes it's a flop, but mostly we find something else we like/love. Mine have even tried *brussel sprouts*, 1 gagged for real, one said it was "ok" the other, "may I have more please". Reese

6. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

My mom got me to eat brussel sprouts by calling them mini-cabbages :D I thought it was neat and I felt like a giant lol :D

Kat

7. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Brussel sprouts :shudder: no. Thank you. There are very few foods that do not make it into my kitchen at some time or another, we're very good about trying new things, and there aren't many things that we try and find we don't like... but it will be a very cold day in Hades that I'm found happily eating a brussel sprout.

Curried spinach, on the other hand, sounds yummy. Got a recipe? :)

My kids are great about eating their veg -- but I think it's because their Dad and I love vegetables, and they've never really considered that vegetables are something to resist eating. They both have their preferences -- neither one of them enjoys mushrooms, and the eldest isn't fond of onions or celery -- but my youngest more than makes up for that -- he favors both :)

Mostly they eat what is put in front of them, and I'm grateful for it.

8. northstarpermie

northstarpermie Well-Known Member

LOL! That's how I got a couple of my sons friends to eat broccoli by calling them little trees.