Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I passed one last night, and it was horrible. It is the first itme I have had one.

Not for the faint hearted! Don't try this at home

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
I know all to well,the worst hurt I've ever had. Last year I had one that would not pass. Hospitalized three times for that one stone.They finally got it broke up enough,for me to pass. Next day I passed five pieces. Felt like I was peeing razor blades.:eek: :hand:please no more. Eddie

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have passed several over the last, wow when I think of it, 40 yrs! I have a genetic disease that makes me and several siblings, produce them. I have had better luck lately, seeing a naturopath, I drink lots of water with lemon in it and take a hydrangea supplement. I also find if I take a hot bath, as hot as I can stand it, it seems to relax things and the stones pass easier. I haven't yet convinced my husband to get a hot tub for me! I have had surgery 5 times to remove them, mine are too hard to break up and they get big and start blocking things and have to be removed. The last one the dr was able to do lithotripsy by making a small incision and putting a probe in to break up the stone. I would much rather go through child birth! You have something to show other than a rock after all that pain.
Hope you are feeling much better now.
Pam

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
pamB,

I passed three kidney stones during my 7-8 months of pregnancy. Couldn't take any pain meds to protect the baby. I got in a warm tub of water and got on the floor with my head between my knees ( or close to it, if that is possible when pregnant with a 10 lb'er) to try to relieve the pain. I ended up having a c-section to get the baby out, and all of that and the rehab afterwards was nothing compared to passing kidney stones!

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Can people us amonimum cholride like you use to keep goats from getting stones?

·
TLC Farm
246 Posts
I was surprised to find out that one of the things that causes kidney stones is a lack of calcium and magnesium. I have never had them but, a friend of mine had a terrible time with them and the doctors told them to stay away from calcium but, when he started taking a good calcium supplement his problems went away.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
about once a year I have stone issues...the first time cost me $1,500 (I suffered horrible pain for a couple of weeks before it passed, and when it did pass it scared my husband so bad he dragged me to the emergency room), now I treat myself.

LOTS of water (about 4 1/2 liters a day) daily Nettle infusion (when suffering I add Juniper berries and Marshmallow Root). I have given up all meat and I limit my intake of some foods shown to cause stones.

Somewhere I have a list of foods that stone sufferers are to AVOID, here it is: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kidney-stones/DS00282/DSECTION=prevention

And this page http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/HEALTHbeat_101205.htm#art1

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
my husband get them a lot...
he finally had some testing done and they determined that he produces to much uric acid...Now he takes daily meds to stop this.
The dr. told him to watch salt, drink lots of fluids (no coffee, tea or dark colas) and to limit meat and proteins.
the pain seems to be horrible with him, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

Belinda

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
I wish I wasn't playing one-upmanship on this subject, in a number of ways. About a dozen years ago I had a bout with kidney stones. One got caught in a ureter, and while I was in the hospital the ureter burst. While the pain leading up to that was intense (no one could figure out why the pain was increasing after they started the pain meds), but once the tube was breached it subsided. I did finally manage to pass the stone on my own, which was surprisingly small.

I vowed that I would never have another kidney stone, and did a lot of research on the subject. My personal advice (I'm not a doctor, but have told a few to take a hike): If you are someone who forms stones, try taking a magnesium supplement like magnesium asporotate and avoid at all costs phosphoric acid, which is in many soft drinks. Get a home water distiller and drink 24 oz of distilled water each day or before bed, more if you feel a stone coming on. Most people get plenty of calcium now, but very little magnesium, and some of us forget to drink water. Getting up to pee in the middle of the night is much more comfortable than dealing with stones.

Touch wood, I have not had a single stone since that episode, so either what I am doing works, or I am incredibly lucky.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I understand that unsweetened organic cranberry juice will dissolve the kidney stones before they pass. I think it should be worth a try.

(Incidently that unsweetened cranberry juice is very sour! I have used it for urinary track problems. Hard to drink, but seems to help....)

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
I've had and passed three. Worst pain I've ever encountered and I've had plenty of emergency room visits from broken bones to broken beer bottles that I stepped on barefoot that had to be cut out of my foot, and everything in between. Kidney stones suck.

·
Registered
311 Posts
yes Ive seen people drink lemon juice during an attack and within 20 minute there relaxing with less pain that is tolerable.
sometimes when people are around radiation or have had ex-rays the radiation trick the body into thinking calcium is bad and tries to get rid of it and deposits in the kidneys try cleansing with apple pectin it helps pull the radiation and then do a calcium product that has been chelated by a plant source like alfalfa and the body can use this better. just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm also genitically disposed to stones. I've passed over thirty. (I really stopped counting after thirty.) My own belief is lemon juice is nothing but folklore. Doctor gives me gout medication which seems to reduce them some. It's a side effect for uric acid stones, not really related to gout.

I normally don't go to the doctor when I get one, otherwise I would go broke. Best thing for me is when I get one, I take two of my meds for my knee pain, take a super hot bath and drink a ton of water all right before going to bed. (If I can get to sleep it reduces the pain) Usually half way thru the night or at least by morning it blows like the old Drake oil rig!

I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but it works for me.

Dan

·
Premium Member
16,652 Posts
I have passed several over the last, wow when I think of it, 40 yrs! I have a genetic disease that makes me and several siblings, produce them. I have had better luck lately, seeing a naturopath, I drink lots of water with lemon in it and take a hydrangea supplement. I also find if I take a hot bath, as hot as I can stand it, it seems to relax things and the stones pass easier. I haven't yet convinced my husband to get a hot tub for me! I have had surgery 5 times to remove them, mine are too hard to break up and they get big and start blocking things and have to be removed. The last one the dr was able to do lithotripsy by making a small incision and putting a probe in to break up the stone. I would much rather go through child birth! You have something to show other than a rock after all that pain.
Hope you are feeling much better now.
Pam
Sounds like the same thing my Pastor's wife has. Her's in genetic too. She told me the name of it, but can't remember it. Where do you get hydrangea supplement? I'll have to tell her about it. Also, how much do you take for it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is a kidney stone remedy I have learned:
Buy 10-12 lemons
Juice one lemon and drink it
in about 10-15 minutes do it again and continue until all lemons are gone
Lay with your hip elevated on the side with the stone so that the kidney stone (now shrunk from the lemon juice) can pass through the kidney.

This is also the same treatment for gall stones with the added factor of drinking 6-8 oz mineral spirits or olive oil after the lemons and there is no need to lay with hip elevated.

Due to the fact that the lemon juice does in fact shrink the stones, I would recommend that anyone with a tendency to stones drink lemon juice regularly.

Hope this information is useful to someone. :)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I got one in a jar that is about the size of a pencil eraser. They hurt, Can not remember how many I have had. Started when I was about mid thirties. When I show this to people they flip out. Dr kept one of the big ones for show and tell. I just drink a whole lot of water and pass them in the tub to make sure they are out.Man they sure give ya pain. Hope you feel better soon. Drink a whole lot of water.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts