Kidding with no electricity

Discussion in 'Goats' started by prairiecomforts, Nov 13, 2006.

1. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

A while back I had a post asking for suggestions for kidding with no electircity. I tried to find it but can't so I will ask for your suggestions again please! I am going to be kidding out this year in a barn with no eletricity. Any suggestions on how to make things easier. I am a little worried since I won't be able to put any additional heat on weak kids and will have to deal with frozen water on a daily basis. Does any one kid in a barn with no elecrictiy? And if so - would you mind sharing any pointers? Thanks!

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I dont have electric....here in Maine....I wait for kids until March and April so it'll be warmer. Sweaters on them work too...jeffers has some for dogs real cheap or you can adapt about a childs 4t sweatshirt for the task. If its going to be real cold I may bring them in overnight...take out to mom in the morning to nurse...
    After the first week they are pretty much good to go :shrug:

When will your does be kidding>?

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

4. mpillow

You could Lute the does and rebreed to put them into a warmer time (in my case thats what I have done and would do) provided your buck is on site or nearby :shrug:

5. prairiecomforts

Thanks Emily!! How'd you do that?!? :rolleyes:

6. prairiecomforts

Okay - I have a question about luting. When you do that - how far along can they be in their pregnancy?...how long to do have to wait afterwards until you can rebred?...and is it safer for them? As much as I don't like to think about it, it may have to be a possibility. :Bawling: I am just not sure what to do yet.

7. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

If kids are weak/sick and it's really cold, I bring them inside. Otherwise, healthy kids in a dry stall with warm bedding do just fine. Prairie, I think you should pose your Lute question in a separate thread to get some good response.

8. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

I always kidded without electricity, and sometimes in February's below zero weather, too. Pulled kids in total darkness, coaxed them to nurse by feel, etc etc. The main thing is that if you have a good flashlight, it's a lot easier to see what you're doing. Otherwise, I don't see the problem.

Heat lamps: I've never used them. Encourage the doe to dry the kid off.

Water: I carried buckets of hot water down to the doe ater she kidded, having put about 1/2 cup of blackstrap molasses and a little less of cider vinegar in the water, It helps them somehow.

Lute them because you don't have electricity and you want them to kid when it's warmer? That's just nuts! The kids who are born in the cold fare better than the June kids, after it's been assured that they are nursing well. I would rather have kids born in winter than late spring any day.

9. mpillow

I think anytime after 3 weeks up to almost full term...

I had a doe that I gave the 2 cc shot to and she aborted at 2m gest.--about 2 day after shot. The fetus was about 6inches. She was in heat w/i a few days but I didnt want her rebred as she was too young.

You can just let the buck do his thing or wait for second heat after abortion :shrug: If the does are in good codition I see no reason to wait :shrug:

10. mpillow

If she lutes now shell have April kids more than likely....and I dont think its "nuts" to not want to have babies frozen to the ground because you werent home to dry them off pronto....I've seen it at a local barn and the owner is the animal control officer (go figure! :rolleyes: ) If mom rejects kids when its cold then you have no choice but to bring them in....in warmer temps you can at least keep them outside and bottlefeed.
    Lutelyse shots are only about $2-3 each....not having to worry about cold kids - priceless :shrug:

11. ozark_jewels

I did a search for all my posts and just scrolled till I found it.....I've found this is the easiest way to find threads I have participated in. :)

12. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I agree. I have lost a couple to the cold when the mom didn't dry them off right away, BUT they seem to do much better when its cold. I don't have near the cocci problem if they are born when it's colder.

13. Batt

Batt In Remembrance Supporter

I have rigged up a 12 volt light source. 1 - 12v battery out of a boat or car will give you several hours of light if you are using a 12 volt 50 watt light intended for a RV or camper. I just rigged mine to a porcelin pull chain fixture and just pull the chain for several hours of light. When the battery gets weak bring it back to the house for a few hours on the charger or change out for a fresh battery.

14. mpillow

Just for clarification on cold as a relative term----my ground is still frzn in March and usually still snowing into April...but Jan Feb are below zero often....my kids are not on pasture until late May early June(2-3m old)...and usually its just mom that goes to pasture and kids stay in stalls...my late March born doe is bigger than the late Feb born buck I purchased---both dairy breeds...

15. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

When are they due to kid?

16. prairiecomforts

some in Jan and some in Feb

17. ozark_jewels

What are temps likely to be during those months??

18. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We use a propane lantern for light (Coleman camping type.) We haul hot water from the house for the doe after she kids. If I had a really weak kid when it was very cold, I'd probably bring it in the house for the night. But generally, I think they'd probably do ok. I don't think I'd lute just because of it being too cold. But I'd breed later next year.

Then again, how many are you going to have kidding?

19. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

Well February is our coldest month here January can have warmer days. Like Ozark_Jewels I am curious to know the temps for that time of year in your area.

Friends of ours have a doe that will kid in February (they live in PA)