kidding time?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by susanne, Dec 16, 2004.

1. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i got a doe since yesterday that is due very soon. don't know the exact time. the guy i got her from said sometimes in january. so that is soon. her belly looks down to the ground and her hip bones are sticking out. for me she looks really thin. also she is an older doe, much more than five maybe seven years old. it is a very big and colourfull nubian. white, black, brown and red in big patches. she is eating good but her poo is more like big blobs and not little berrys. no diarea though. how can you tell how old a doe is if she lost all her milk teeth?
    could i still worm her and what could i give her to get some meat on her? in the past she had always tripplets.
    susanne

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Susanne, I'm not an expert and don't mean to rain on your parade but have gone through a patch recently. Go online and order CMPK gel from PBSHealth.com or another place that has it. It is only $4.50 or so and it is a lifesaver, if she is skinny and has had triplets in the past. Also purchase Nutri Drench and follow instructions for newborns and her. Be sure she is getting plenty of alfalfa hay or pellets along with her ration for calcium. Find a goat mineral lick and let her have that as she wishes. I know the others on here have more experience- I just saw your question and had to respond since I've recently had a skinny doe (purchased bred and malnourished) kid and she's had a hard time. She developed hypocalcemia and I'm working with her hourly. Be prepared. Best wishes for you and her :)

3. peakfarms

peakfarms Member

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/kidding.htm
    I totally recommend this site for pics and info. I had a doe kid a week ago, and it was not a normal birth. I had studied this site before, adn was glad I did. I had to go in and help the first twin out.
    This site also has great references for disbudding.
    Regina Peak

4. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

What is CMPK and what is it used for and when do you use it and .... and... and... that's all for now. <G>
    Thanks!
    Rachel

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hi Rachel, Read this article by Ann Reith. She explains its use . Hypocalcemia

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

she is eating good but her poo is more like big blobs

She has had a change of home and now a change of food, yep it would give anybody the blobs. What are you feeding her? With her kids at this point growing from the size of small puppies to the 5 to 8 pound kids they will be in 50 days, that takes alot of nutrition, so don't waste a mouthful on fluff. Good hay, a good grain with real products on the tag and give her a handfull of alfalfa pellets several times a day, increasing the amount of alfalfa pellets and grain until by the time she kids she is eating all the alfalfa pellets she wants (2 pounds or so) and 2 pounds (weight it) of grain per day. It's eaiser to get them to eat as much as they need by feeding her breakfast lunch and dinner rather than putting it all out at once. Get a good loose horse or cow mineral, to put out in another bucket in her barn, feed her grain in another bucket, and her hay in a feeder. Lots of warm water this winter, my does love hot water. Pehaps you can move her calcium stores up so she can as an older doe kid for you without problems. But getting the CMPK and propolyn gloycol (nutridrench is just expensive PG with minerals and vitamins in it.

Once a doe has all her adult teeth it's a guess how old she is. If her molars are ground down this can also be from a diet of whole corn, so it's anyones guess. But most of my does kid and milk until at least 12. And all good dairy goats have hips that stick out, just like the difference in looking at a meat cow (angus) and a diary cow (jersey). Feel over her ribs. Is she just skin and ribs? Than yes you need to feed her more, but slowly increase or you will have more blobs (we call it dog poop here ;) if she has a nice layer of flesh over her ribs but you can still fell the ribs than she is perfect.

Worm her, trim her feet, if you are going to milk her trim or shave up her udder, under her tail and her rearend, this makes keeping her clean so much eaiser. If she is cold than put a sweatshirt on her, they use alot of calories keeping warm. You will also worm her the day she kids so get enough wormer to do that also. What wormer are you going to use?

If you have the money you could also get a bag of black oil sunflower seeds from Wallmart and give her a handful several times a day, they are high in fat, high in rouage (which will help with the plops also) You can also get Probios from a bigger feed store or mill, this is full of beneficial bacteria which is excellent for her rumen, in a pinch you can use keifer or yogurt.

Make sure you milk her when she kids, don't leave a huge colostrum full udder overfilled, once you have seen all the kids nurse, when they are full tummied and laying down together, than milk the colostrum out and freeze it for emergencies. Keep her udder empty once a day until the kids are older and they keep the udder empty themselves. You will have to watch older does with their kids in the beginning, make sure the kids if they are small can nurse off her bigger teats. You may want to get yourself some soda bottles and nipples right now in case you have bottle babies in the middle of the night :)

Have fun and hopefully 3 colorful doelings are in your New Years future?? Vicki

7. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

thanks for reply. a lot of good info and i don't feel so alone anymore :)
    the new one is really thin. i can easily feel her ribs. the other one is more meaty. i guess this is what they call american nubian?
    right now i feed all my goats alfa/hay third cutting free choice and goatmix from TSC twice a day. they had a new brand and i bought a bag. i'm not so sure if i will continue because it has cottonseed in it. i had alfa cubes but they don't eat that for some reason. i didn't find alfa pellets yet. i will go today and buy sunflower seeds that sure will help with energy level. they also have a mineral salt stone, coldn't find loose mineral yet. also i thought they need the salt?
    how do you administer probiotics? bought it that at TLC too but they didn't like it at all, smeared it all over the place.
    i wormed my goats with safe guard. the two new ones were wormed in august but i don't know what wormer it was. i'm thinking about buying the herbal wormer from hoeggers. any thoughts?
    my first two girls are so jealous it is unbelivable. as soon i come to my goats, they gather around me and everybody who comes near me is getting budded :rolleyes: is that normal that they get so attached to a person?i only got them in november but it was something like love at first seight.
    i'm thinking of seperating the new goats so i have more controll about what they are eating.
    susanne

8. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Susanne, and American Nubian is one who's registry doesn't go all the way back to the beginning.. there are even some purebreds that are registered American, because they were sold at one time without papers and were later registered as NOA, and the kids were later registered up to American.. doe's your doe have papers? it should say whether she is or not..

Alfalfa cubes are too big and hard for a goat to get to properly.. try a local feed store for pellets, they really are worth their weight! and Tractor supply should have those loose minerals..

Administering Probiotics.. first off, make sure you got the one for cows and not horses.. the horses one is skinny and the cow tube is fat (well, fatter)
    this is how I do it.. take the cap off & dial up your 5 grams.. then go get your goat and straddle her, like your riding a horse, but up on her neck.. with one hand grasp her jaw and open it and with the other, put in the tube and depress the plunger.. at this point, I have to remove my hand from her jaw to do the plunger, 'cause I just don't have the strength to do it with one hand... after a couple of time, you become a pro :yeeha:

Safeguard.. doesn't work on anything except tape worms.. and if she's loaded with worms, then the organic wormer isn't going to do anything to help her out now.. which is what you need.. the organic wormers really only work on animals who don't have a load, and helps maintain the animals immunity.. with her the way she is, I'd use Ivomec 1% injectable for Cattle & Swine, given at 1cc per 50 pounds orally.. then do it again the day she kids.. It may seem expensive, but it should last you all year, if not longer depending on how many goats you have.. and do fecals!! if you can't do 'em yourself, have your vet run 'em.. it's the only way to really know what's going on worm wise with your goat, and if your wormer is working or not.. Ivomec is actually getting to the point where many people are seeing a resistanc, but so far *knock on something* It's still working for me..

Jealousy..?? NO, goat's get jealous?? lol.. well, mine do! It's always ME! ME! ME! when it comes to scratches and rubs or just sitting there... they are way too funny..

Good luck with your new gal.. Give her lots of love, even if the others don't think she deserves it!! :D