kidding season

Discussion in 'Goats' started by marvella, Dec 25, 2004.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i've noticed several people lately posting about kids coming now, or being due any time. my does have always kidded in february and august. as far as i know, so does everyone elses in this area. somehow i have the idea that where you live has an effect on the time of year the doe comes into heat. is this correct? what i can't figure out is why people who live in kind of the same area as me are kidding now? seems like much further north, or south, the times would be different, but not so much variation in the US.

or... are you all regulating their cycles by keeping your bucks separate, then breed them to your convenience?

or am i imagining things.:)

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Well I just get mine bred as soon as possible.

MotherClucker

3. marvella

hmmm.:) but they only come into heat a few weeks after they've kidded, at least mine do. and it has consistently fallen into the february/ august cycle. i guess all i want to know is- why are some goats kidding at this time of year.

4. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

One thing depends on the type of goats you have. for instance Nigerians are year around breeder and if I am not mistaken so are Boers. The way I understand it is that the S. African breeds will breed year around and the Swiss breeds are seasonal breeders usually the Suiss breeds start coming into heat around Aug until Dec or Jan.
    And yes most people keep the bucks separate and breed when they want to. Except when you have an excape artist like I did this year then you really don't know for sure who is bred when, which is really a bummer. I didn't want Jan babies

5. marvella

aha! so my info may be wrong. somewhere along the way, i got the idea that goats in MN breed slightly sooner than mine would, and perhaps TX would breed later. this may very well be untrue, it seems. which would account for the january births i see on here.

my goats are "just" scrub goats, a nubian/ nigerian x. they've always been so regular in their kidding, i thought this theory might be true. thank y'all, for clearing that up for me.:)

6. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

We have Boer goats so can bred throughout the year. We have a goat due right along now, the weather is USUALY good this time of year but gets cold, below zero, @ the 3rd week in January. Kids will be 3 weeks old by then. Rest of the herd is due mid-April, late for us but we are moving so had to plan for that. Last goat will be bred for June as she is a Nubian, and with the move want to be settled in the new house before milking begins...Joan

7. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We usually have ours kid "once" a year. We keep aiming for them to kid starting March because our barn is set up for that. Winter is hard enough on our cow dairy, we don't need the added stress of kids being born in Dec. and Jan.
    However, still working on keeping our bucks seperated until mid-October to start breeding. Our bucks were with our does all spring and summer long...until July when we "took" them out. Obviously they didn't listen as I have six of our ten breeding does to kid in the next three weeks (three due on Jan. 4th)
    So they didn't really start cycling again until late July (they kidded starting in Jan. in '04 and were returned to the bucks in March and April)....
    We have crosses that have Pygmy, LaMancha, Nubian, Togg(small percentage), Alpine(small percentage), Saanen and Boer in them.

8. deetu

deetu Well-Known Member

I have Boers. They come into heat every month (although they are so quite, you can never tell) They will become more aggressively in heat in the fall. I breed for April babies because I don't want to deal with coming home to frozen kids. In the spring, all the brouse is coming in for them to nibble and there is less hay I have to feed. They are usually a nice size to sell for Ramadon by the fall.

9. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

My best friend in Utah said that a lot of their animals came into heat later this year, which the old timers is saying means there will be a long lengthy winter and the animals adjust so more babies will be born in the warmer spring...

10. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

I have Saanens and here in the northeast they start coming in heat in Sept and continue right thru til March.
    Mickey

11. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine usually won't start coming into heat until September or October.

We breed for as early as we can. I don't keep dry yearlings, so I want everyone as big as they can be by fall.

Tracy

12. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

We're in Central Texas, and I have had kids in every season. But mine are Nubians, and I believe that also makes a difference.
    I do keep the buck separate, and did deliberately breed two of mine for early December kids. It has been unusually cold here this last week, though, giving me some regrets. Next year, I think I'll plan first kiddings after the first of the year.
    mary

13. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

One things also to mention here is that when it is still very very hot down here the bucks nor the does care very much to have any flings so depends on the weather alot.