Kidding season over for us!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Mrs_stuart, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

We are done with our kidding season for the year, and things went pretty well.

Our Nubian doe kidded on 3-14, in the afternoon. I was heading outside with hubby and we noticed that she has started and we all ran out there to see what was going on. She had one little boy on the ground, he was tiny too. 5 1/2 lbs. He seemed to be fine but cold and a bit weak too. Then she started pushing, pushing and we seemed to have a bit of a problem, no baby, so my dd (12 yo) gloved up and went in. (i was so proud of her) she said, i cant feel head, i think it is backwards...and sure enough, here comes the end. dd had to help it out but it did come and it was fine too. Another boy, 7 1/2 lbs. and then she started pushing again and here came #3...another boy 7 1/4 lbs doing pretty well and forward. That was it for her. She was tired and we helped the babies get dried up and cleaned up, bottle fed a few oz. of colustrum put them under heat lamp and all went well.

We, our Ober delivered on 3-15 in the evening about 7:30. She started yelling for my dd we all ran out and she was standing, pushing and yelling and yelling, hubby had to go right in and help get the baby out, because it was stuck. We finall get him out YES, him. He is so cute...weighed 7 1/2 lbs and doing very well even though he had a bit of problems coming out. We waited quite a while but nothing else happened so dh gloved up and felt around to see if anything else was there, and he found another one on the way. So minutes later, out came the last one. YEAH HAW!!! it was a girl 6 1/4 lbs. They both had colustrum and were doing fine.

things have gone well and all 5 are doing well. The 3 Nubians have already been sold as bottle babies so we only have our Obers left. We will be selling the little buckling on down the line after he is weaned and get his papers back.

I have to say that my little dd rocks...she was awesome and did such a wonderful job. This was our first "real" time kidding. (we did have one last year but we only got the doe a few months before she kidded and didnt even know she was kidding). So, this is all we have and are finished up for the year!!!! yeah!!!

Belinda

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

congrats for you guys !!!
    you made it through the first kidding season ,
    usually theres no need to go and do internal exams, but sounds like you guys made the right calls in your cases !
    good job on your DD ,
    its nice to be done with the waiting, but the excitement of kidding carries through for a while !
    Beth

3. Mrs_stuart

Thanks Beth,
    It was very exciting...those little things are so cute too! We read everything we could, over and over (thank goodness) so that we would know what to do...and my dd, she was brilliant if I must say so! :D
    Well, there is no time to relax now, we have milking, and bottles and...

Belinda

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Do we have a future VET in our midst?!!

GREAT JOB!!!

Children have no fear unlike us grownups! ;)

5. Mrs_stuart

I have never seen an animal that didnt love my dd. she is just animal crazy. She is awesome!!! She always has a rabbit in her pocket, or walking a goat, or teaching her old dog new tricks...

Belinda

6. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Season?!?! It was a breeding weekend in my opinion! lol Wish my son could help like that..than again he's only four!

7. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

WE have had three Nubins kid, we have 9 babies, 5 boys, and 4 girls, sold the bucklings off as bottle babies. We have 4 mini Nubians, yet to kid, we are thinking pink. we need does. we ar hoping the rest are girls, but you just never know.

8. Mrs_stuart

We were hoping girls too...after our nubie had 3 boys...when the ober was delivering...we were all going...girl, girl, girl...and out came a boy...and when she started pushing again...we chanted be a girl, be a girl, and yes it was a girl...
    one girl out of 5...
    We are just thankful that we got at lease one. Hope you all get girls ...

Belinda