kidding question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by April Rain, Apr 20, 2006.

1. April Rain

April Rain Well-Known Member

I had a second freshener kid sometime last night earlier than I expected. She was due May 1st. This is my first kidding and I have to ask, when do you know she is done and there isn't any left in there? She doesn't seem to be in labor anymore. What does she need in aftercare? I milked her out this morning and gave her grain but have forgotten what else I should do for her. I have been reading lately to get ready but my mind is dazed right now.

2. dkdairygoats

dkdairygoats Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are doing everything right. If the kids look normal, then your due date might have been wrong. Usually if they are out of labor, look comfortable, and are eating, they are done. Not always true though, I've had does chow down on grain in between kids.

3. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

:bouncy: I give my mom's molasses water for as long as they want it. This year they got it twice a day and the all drank a gallon each time. I would thing she is fine also. If you are really are confused then you could try bouncing her. Make sure baby gets Nutri drench and iodine the navel.Are you bottle feed the little one or is the mom? Make sure the baby gets the colosturm. By the way what did she have?
    Congratulations :bouncy: :clap:

4. April Rain

April Rain Well-Known Member

She had a doeling and a buckling.

5. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

If she has delivered the afterbirth then she is probably fine and done. If there is still a cord hanging out, you should check for more kids.