Kidding Done!! Questions....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by eggladyj, Mar 29, 2005.

1. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

My two Pygmy girls came through like champs giving me 5 beautiful babies; 2 doelings and 3 bucklings! I bred them to a Nigerian Dwarf in hopes of getting at least one girl from my great milker-for a Pygmy anyway! Unfortunatly, the one that gave me doelings isn't the best for milking but such is life, I'm happy anyway :) .

Now on my other gal she gave me two bucklings on Thursday, big fellas too! The funny thing is they both have :eek: floppy ears, what is that all about? At first I thought maybe I had been snookered and maybe my great Pygmy milker had something extra thrown in the genetics pool-like a Nubian somewhere! But, a close friend also used the same buck on her Pygmy and got a floppy eared buck as well! So now I'm wondering.....?

Of course there could be some funny stuff going on with the bucks gene pool which would explain the ears, but is there any other reason that would cause the ears to flop like a Nubies?

I have/had plans of keeping one of my bucklings for breeding but not sure if this is a good idea now. I have three Nubian does that I was going to use for him, would this still be a good plan or not? They are beautiful boys that's for sure! One is pure white with blue eyes and the other is white with grey/black frosting and dark eyes with some blue in the center. When I get a chance I'll try to get some pics up of them, so you can see their floppy ears :haha: ! Very strange!

Thanks for any advice or thoughts!
    Jeannine

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't quote me but I thought that Nubians and pigmy's shared genetics in there family tree, I know one breed was used over 100 yrs ago?? to breed the other.

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Well, hmmm. I don't *think* Nubians and Pygmies share much in the way of genetics. They both come from Africa originally, and I think that is about all they have in common.

You might want to wait and see on those ears. Sometimes they change quite a bit as the babies grow older. My two three-quarter Boer doe kids had very floppy ears at birth but now at two-and-a-half-weeks they are starting to look like they have airplane ears. I think it sometimes takes the cartilidge a while to stiffen up.

Kathleen