kidded yesterday, high fever

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Debi, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Debi

Debi Active Member

I've got a doe that kidded yesterday, no problems. She was a little slow getting up but the twin doelings nursed fine and I thought they were all well.

I noticed the babies were lethargic today. The mother was laying off by herself, away from the babies. They didn't seem to want to nurse and she just doesn't seem interested. I syringed milk into them both and noticed them nursing more aggressively after about an hour.

When I fed everyone, the doe wouldn't eat. Nibbled a little hay but not much.

Thinking ketosis, I've given her two doses each of 35 cc's propylene glycol, 15 grams of probios, 6 cc's Cydectin, 30 cc's of CMPK. I also gave her 6 cc's sub-q of Vitamin B Complex.

Both babies have mustard poops but one of them smells really bad and it's runny. I gave them both 1/2 cc of Dimethox 40% orally in case this is something bacterial. I clean my sheds daily and the poop isn't green like e-coli so I just don't know what's going on. They're also both a little bit congested. I also noticed that the mama doe has loose poop so I gave her 3 cc's of Dimethox orally.

Tonight I took her temp and it's 106.1. I don't have any banamine. I called all of the numbers on the Goatworld 911 list and they're busy or the wrong numbers.

I need help quick. She passed her afterbirth but doesn't have any icks today. I have Oxytetracycline 200 and ProPen-G penicillan. Can I give her aspirin? If so, how much?

Any help will be very appreciated.

Debi
    Kaufman TX

2. Debi

Debi Active Member

An update of my earlier post, I read where you can give kids baby aspirin so I gave her two 500 mg aspirin crushed up in molasses water. I also gave her 6 cc's sub-q of Ocytetracycline 200 mg. I hope she makes it through the night.

Debi
    Kaufman TX

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

call a vet, early in th emorning, or if you have a vet, call now.

4. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

How is this doe doing this morning?

5. Debi

Debi Active Member

I gave her 6 cc's of Ocytetracycline sub-q last night and another round of CMPK, PG and probios. Also gave her 2 crushed aspirins with the molasses water I was syringing into her.

This morning, she was up eating hay with one of the babies nursing. She wasn't real perky but obviously better. Laid around chewing a cud more than I like to see but she would get up when I brought the babies to her. They don't stay with her and she doesn't answer them when they holler. Hopefully, they'll get that figured out soon. I gave her another shot of Oxytetracycline (another goat person thought maybe staph or samonella), more CMPK and PG. I also gave the babies another 1/2 cc of Dimethox. No more watery poops and they're bouncing around like they should be.

Her fever is gone, poop is normal again, she ate handfuls of leaves I picked for her. Still not interested in grain or alfalfa pellets but she's nibbling hay. I'll give her and the babies another round of meds in the morning but I hope the worst is over.

Debi
    kaufman TX

6. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

Just wanted to let you know I'm sending out 'good vibes' for a quick recovery for all concerned!

Jeannine