Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sunny Daze Farm
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my nigerian dwarf bucklings has had scours the last few days. I dewormed him and started him on di-methox thinking it was probably internal parasites (although he has been dewormed not too long ago and on cocci prevention but it has been really hot and rainy here lately). I also gave him some pepto and probios. I thought his poop was firming up yesterday, but this is day 3 of dimethox i definitely saw him go today and it was still quite runny...not any better than day 1. I took his temp and it is 104. I also noticed him cough a few times this past week, but it didn't sound congested and otherwise nothing to be too alarmed about. No nasal discharge, still has an appetite although he is definitely a bit lethargic. I noticed he was was sneaking in the pig pen and getting some of the feed they dropped, so fixed that problem and was hoping that was the cause but he hasn't been in there for the last 2 days now. I was thinking about giving him some Nuflor since he has the fever....I also have LA-200, penicillin, and terramyacin (sp?) if one of those might be better...not sure what he has though and I hate to give him something that won't help....any ideas??

·
Registered
641 Posts
That is a normal temp. if it is hot outside and it looks like you live in Florida. I would not be concerned about his temp. If it were winter, that would be a different story. Is his diarrhea black? It usually is, if it is cocci. Nine times out of ten, he is scouring b/c of whatever he is eating in the pig pen. He might not be feeling great. Goats are touchy and whenever there is any feed change, especially sudden changes or eating things not normal for a goat to eat, I would expect diarrhea. If you think he has cocci, I'm not sure I would use Pepto, which is known to coat the stomach and intestines. You want to treat with the Di-methox and the pepto might make it less effective. What did you deworm him with? Have you used Panacur? If not, for extra precaution, I'd get a tube of equine Panacur and deworm him twice the equine dosage, once a day for three days in a row. We had some issues with lungworm and whipworm the Ivermectin didn't take care of it but after the Panacur treatment, they made quick gains and improvements. It saved several of our goats while the first few weren't so lucky. See, we didn't know what was wrong until we got a necropsy done. If you lose the baby, I'd suggest having that done if you have somewhere that does them. Purdue University does them here for only $50 and it was worth it to save the rest of the herd. Good luck to you and hope I helped some.

·
Premium Member
15,701 Posts
What is he eating? I would suggest putting him on just hay or browse until this straightens out. And give him some probiotics.

·
Sunny Daze Farm
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was trying to post this yesterday:

I used valbazen most recently and cydectin before that. His diarrhea is brown, not black.....I only gave him the pepto the first day, I guess I will continue the Di-methox and try and get some panacur on monday when the feedstore is opened. I thought probably from the pig feed, but then he hasn't had access to it the last couple of days and it hasn't gotten better, guess it could have thrown him off though. I was concerned more about the temp because it actually was overcast today so it wasn't as hot, and I took the temp of another goat out with him and it was 102.6. I will call my vet on monday if it there isn't improvement...these kind of things always like to happen on the weekend! He actually doesn't act like he feels too terrible, but I know they can go down hill real fast. The only kid I have lost was lost to hook worm and it only took about 2 days for him to go from happy bouncy kid to dead :( That is when/how I found out ivermectin is no longer effective around here. Had to learn the hard way on that one...

Update today:

I have taken him off of hay the last few days...last night I noticed 2 other goats that had been in with him have the same thing...one is a 4 month old doeling and the other is a pregnant doe who is about to pop! I wormed everyone with cydectin since that is what I have right now, except the pregnant doe, and started all 4 kids that were in together on dimethox. Not sure what I should give the doe though, is di-methox ok for her? They are all locked in a freshly cleaned pen with new bedding and I scrubbed buckets...everyone has been wormed about a month ago, so I don't think it is worms, I am guessing probably cocci or something they are getting into? It went from totally normal berries to a pretty runny diarrhea pretty fast...

·
Premium Member
15,701 Posts
He's off hay now?

Hay is easier on the gut than more concentrated feed. Does he have access to baking soda?

·
Sunny Daze Farm
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry, posted that fast...he is off grain now...he has had hay only for the last few days and also out to pasture. he is now locked in with hay only...no pasture just to make sure he isn't getting into something.

·
Premium Member
15,701 Posts
A bit of pepto will help soothe and protect his stomach.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Because of the weather worms are really bad. Feed everyone up off the ground worm 2-3 times with cydectin to break the cycle so worm say today then in 10 days and again in 10 days.

The need suportive care now . B vitamins , bo-se and iron to rebuild the blood. Probios for the stomach.

Patty

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Worms and cocci. Using prevention dosages of sulfa's and corrid don't work when you have numbers high enough to cause problems with cocci, and worming older kids with valbazen who have HC worms from adults, is not going to stop the HC worms before you have dairrhea. The fever will continue to climb as the intestines slough in the poop from the cocci. Nuflor is fine, we use Naxcel...banamine to keep him eating but to also calm the gut. Use prevention dosages of your cocci meds. B vitamins, fluids subq if he is not drinking. Vicki

·
Sunny Daze Farm
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for everyones advice! I have been giving Di-methox 40% at 1ml per 10lbs each day for about 4 days now. Vicki, what would you give then for a higher cocci load? I gave Vitamin B complex and Bo-Se and more probios today. They seem to be doing better. Drinking and munching on hay. I saw some firmer stools today, but just a bit ago it was loser again. Better than before though. I didn't give the Nuflor yet, as he hasn't had a temp today. should I go ahead and do that still? I have paste banamine, I haven't had to use it for the goats yet, only horses. Is the paste ok and how much should I give him? I can get some of the banamine injectable tomorrow if needed. Thanks!!

·
Sunny Daze Farm
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everyone seems much better today, stool is definitely firming up. I was able to give them some banamine, got the injectable this morning. I will keep an eye on them and if anyone relapses I will try and steal some cud! :) Thanks everyone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts