Kid with cold?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cayenne47, May 24, 2006.

1. cayenne47

cayenne47 Critter Mama Supporter

I have two 2-month old boer crosses. One a doe the other a little buckling. We had beautiful weather for almost a month, then BOOM. RAIN and a 30 degree drop in temp. I brought them back in the house to stay warm and dry.
    My little boy has a runny nose and just sounds like he has a cold. I was told to use vicks on his nose several times a day and it seemed to help, at first. BTW, he's eating fine, just acting like he doesnt feel up to snuff
    I guess my question is, how can you tell when you need to get the antibiotics going? How do you know when its past the cold stage and gone into something worse?
    These are my first kids so any help is appreciated.

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

give him some vitamin b complex, oh about 5cc's. don't worry can't over does, and a half cc of pen g, forabout 3 days, he should be fine.

3. cayenne47

cayenne47 Critter Mama Supporter

i gave him his shot of penicilliin. he was yelling up a storm until then..now hes just standing like a statue, NOT like an allergic reaction. i dont know :( :shrug:

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

no some times an antibotic, makes them drozy, just like people. give him a little mollasses water, but only a small amount i na bottle. not to much, don't want the runs, or give him a couple of squarts of goat drench.