Kid dragging hind legs...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by wooly1s, Apr 26, 2006.

1. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

We kidded yesterday! First time mom - both babies in "diver" position - a welcome relief after her mom delivered a full breech and head only/legs back pair last year!

First kid big and strong, but dragging hind legs...was up on them after a few hours without a problem. Got a little scared after seeing it as a symptom of CAE (weak hind legs.) Is it always? Or do some of these guys just "unfold" at different rates? Worry about White Muscle Disease - or is that overall thrift???

Second kid very small - just a rail of a thing - backbone and legs. Just fell out of mom - no birthing required! Afraid she wouldn't survive -
    Surprise, surprise! She was up on her feet and nursing vigorously right away - by nightfall her tummy was actually bigger than first baby...
    Goes to show - you never can tell!

2. Mortgage-Hill

Mortgage-Hill Active Member

does he have any feeling in his back legs? and yes if he ran out of room in mommy's tummy they can unfold at different rates,, is he any better today? and how is mom's overall health?

3. wooly1s

Hello, Mortgage Hill! Thanks for answering - guess this isn't a very interesting question...

I am assuming he has feeling, but I can check with a pinch in the morning.

Both kids were a little tottery on the second day, but out of the kidding pen, following Mom and playing just dandy. Just like with my own babies, my memory of those first few days from previous kidding is about nil...last year's babies were a whole year ago, and all I can seem to remember is big bouncing babies (2 month olds, of course).

Mom's health is good (as compared to poor and excellent.) She is on the light side for my taste. Her udder has an odd shape - kind of like a football on its side, but she is letting down milk just fine...

She was from our "early days" when any goat was a good goat, we wanted goats so badly, and she came as a baby at mama's side. We don't know much about her.

Guess I'll know more when the next sets arrive...I've got two more first-timers on the back side of being due!

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

CAE wouldn't show up this early. How is the selenium situation in your area? This kid might do well with a BoSe shot. I've seen some pretty weak legs at birth reverse themselves very quickly on their own within even a day or two.

5. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

I had one REALLY big pair of twin bucks last year, the does first kidding and neither could stand for about 3-4 days. Their legs needed to strengthen as they were so cramped in utero. I had one really small doe this year that gave birth to a little doeling that you would SWEAR was deformed her front legs were so askew. She's about three weeks old now and just fine, everything is straight and normal. Sometimes They're just so crowded in utero that they need time to "straighten out". My boys from last year are still with me, wethers now, and about 150lbs. They fathered some of this years kids(before being neutered) and all their kids are fine. I had to hold those guys last year for the first 3-4 days to suckle. Give the kid time, he might be fine.
    Another thought, sure he wasn't injured? Was he in with other goats? Goats will butt other does' kids if they try to suckle. I had a little doe that got hung up in a fence last year. I thought she might've been injured by my horse trying to "help" her, (Ruby LOVES kids), but in retrospect I've come to believe it was more likely the other goats intentional actions. I have seen them butt any goat dumb enough to get her head stuck, UNMERCIFULLY. The thing that brings me running is the screams from the stuck goat because she's getting butted. Another thing I've noted is goats carry grudges, and it's multigenerational. A doe will "go after" the kids of her enemy IF she thinks she can get away with it(mom's attention is elsewhere, mom can't get to her kid).
    Another thought, are you sure the little one is being fed? Stay there and see, better if you can put mom on a milking stand. Sometimes the stronger kid will get almost all of the milk, crowd the other out.

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Selenium deficiency was my first thought too. Did you give the doe BoSe pre-kidding? You could give it to the kids now to help bring them around.

7. wooly1s

Thanks for all of the posts...have them on free mineral, but will get my hands on some BoSe...No injury, we had mom in kidding stall, I was right there the whole time - mom is gentle as can be. I think it's more a case of baby amnesia on my part - I remember the kids from last year as "big kids" and have forgotten the early wobbly days...Like I don't remember my kids as shrivelly misshapen newborns but round rose-cheeked cherubs!
    I do know that nobody dragged before though...probably a case of "too much reading" where wobbly legs became a CAE alarm!

8. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I'm glad to hear that your little guy is starting to do better. I am ALWAYS suprised at how tiny or big our newborns are, depending on whether they are mutts or boers. Good Luck with the babies and the mama. BYe.