Kid box

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kathy-momof9, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Kathy-momof9

Kathy-momof9 Member

Do you use one for disbudding? Anything else? Trying to decide if I need one and if I do which style. Give me your opinions.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

No need if two people.....do it about 3-10 days after born, one holds (sitting with kid on lap) other burns. I have the vet burn and I hold. The first couple times breaks your heart as the kids beller, but it is for the best.

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I send my hubby to the vet, with the kids, for the burning of the horns. I don't like to do that. and they get mad at him, not me. hahahaaaaa

4. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I like to do it myself.
    Made a protype kid box that's just the size to fit them in, no bigger. I don't want room for them to wiggle.

When I get it to my satisfaction, I'm going to sell them. I'm so picky about things being just right. I knew if I bought one, I wouldn't be satisfied.

I want to be able to sit on that box after the kid is in it and be able to do however many I need without being straddled too much and uncomfortable.

If you put them in a box, then the worst part to hold is contained. Only the head sticks out and you hold that with one hand and burn with the other.

Yes, it does unnerve me but once they bounce away and nurse on their mamas, they don't seem to mind it anymore.

5. Kathy-momof9

Kathy-momof9 Member

We had planned on getting the vet to do them but then found he hasn't done one in over five years. So we are taking the first kids to a goat farm where the owners have lots of experience. They do not use a box and they are going to 'teach' us how to do it. After that we're on our own.

6. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

i don't use one. i've found it easier to just hold the baby down between my legs...it looks like i'm sitting on it, but there is no weight on the baby, and i don't like anyone else to hold, because i'd feel awful if i burned one of my kids or a friend when they were trying to help me....

7. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

How old is TOO old to burn?????

8. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I can definitely tell you that 2 weeks old is way too old for disbudding Alpine kids. Alpine kids have to be done around 5 days old. I screwed up 4 of my little bucks waiting too long. :no:

9. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

We just disbudded 3-4 week old kids successfully.
    It all depends on the size of the horn bud and how large the horn has grown at the base of the head.

10. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

it depends on the breed and genetics, of course, but generally it is best to do the disbudding when the babies are 5-10 days old. the horn bud should be no more than 1/4 inch tall. that said, i've successfully disbudded 2 month olds, BUT it was traumatic for all involved, and took two separate burnings to get it all. way way better to do it at 5-7 days.

11. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We had our neighbor do the horns. They were a week old and could not have waited any longer. We also have Alpines. After that they developed abscesses. Could this be caused by the burning? Never had this problem before.