Kicky milk cow question!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by willow_girl, Jun 16, 2004.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

A friend told me that sometimes an inflammation of the uterus will make a dairy cow cranky and kicky.

Has anyone heard of this? If so, what's the proper method of treatment?

(BTW, this isn't a problem I'm having with my cow ... she's an angel! ... it's one of the heifers at work.)

Thanks! :)

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

That may be so ???? Or she may not care for people messing with her. In either case, if you are milking by hand kicking is very unpleasnt. They have a big clamp like device to tighten up on the flanks that is a great help in keeping them from kicking. The old timers used a thing specially made to hook onto the rear of their legs with a little chain that held them together.

3. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Unk
    All them old u shaped kickers with the chain between were good for was to **** the flies off your face as they went flying by :eek: We used to wrap a light rope around just ahead of the udder and squeeze there ''waist'' to stop them from kicking. With a young cow new to milking it is just nerves a lot of the time.
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Wanda, I still have a set of those old kickers out in the barn to hold a gate shut. You are right. It can get downright exiting when a cow decides to throw a hissy fit to get rid of the kickers. That is time to stand way back and holler obsene names at the old heifer. That didn't happen with most cows but you'll never forget when it did. We tied their tail around their leg to stop the switching. We had a cow with no switch on her tail. The hogs ate the end of it off when she was born out in the pasture. That didn't keep her from swinging that club of a tail and whapping me in the side of the head. Of course I politely said, "Please don't do that sweety."

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

6. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I dunno, there is something wrong with this girl. I'm convinced it's physiological. Yes, she's a first-calf cow, freshened about a month and a half ago. But most all cows milked 2x a day in a parlor straighten up by now ... in fact, she's the only one I know of that hasn't.

She's not a mean cow. You can walk right up to her in the pen. She seems depressed, though. It's the way she holds her head and the look in her eye ... something is not quite right.

And she's not kicking just to be ornery ... something is hurting her!

I'm determined to get to the bottom of this. There has to be a better way than just tying her foot up, and hurting her and making her miserable, darn it! :confused: