kicked in the face!!-help!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by dk_40207, Jul 29, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Not me! My Jersey cow was kicked in the lip by a mini horse stallion! He split her lip. It appears that he hit her so hard that the force knocked her lip into her teeth, and it appears slipt on the underside.

Not sure--is there anything I should do for her??? Any ointment gets licked off right away.

What do you all use for other little boo-boos in your dairy cattle?
    :help:

Thanks!!

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

If it isn't all the way through the lip or if its not bleeding a lot, I would just leave it alone and watch her to make sure she eats. Mouth wounds heal very fast in cattle. Just glad it wasn't you this post was about!! :)

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I meant to answer this last night and had I done so I would have said exactly the same as Emily.

When I read the title I had visions of smashed noses and cheekbones - yours! and thought hell's teeth, she'll never milk a cow again.

A word of warning though, keep horses away from other livestock, and particularly stallions, as they have a tendancy to want to use sheep and cattle as footballs. That is a wide generality of course but until your sure they will make good paddock mates, it pays to keep a fence between them.

And how is the milking going?

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Stitches. And if she has trouble eating for awhile, soak some alfalfa pellets in water and give it to her as a mash....that's hat I did for a horse that was hit by a car, and got herself a cut and swollen lip.

6. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

If she's eating, watch for infection and leave it alone.

7. dk_40207

What would you say infection would look like on this? She won't let me handle her face, so I can't see it that well, but today it looks a little red. Not sure if ts blood or not. It hasn't looked reddish before. It also appears a bit yellow, but I don't know if that's just the fat/flesh or not. The nostral above the side hwere the split lip is has had snotty on it for a few days. She is still acting fine as far as I can tell, but because she is my first cow....I'm not exactly sure how they act:)
    Thanks! I'll see if I can get some pics up later.

8. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Is she eating well? Take her temp, should be about 101.5

9. dk_40207

She is eating like a champ....no livestock therm to speak of, and she WON'T tolerate me near her backside. She is a pushy lady. I tie her to milk, but milk right onto the ground because I don't have anything to hold her back feet, so she steps forward and back alot...
    It I wlak around to her back side, and frantically turns to face me.

10. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

If she's eating well I shouldn't think you have any major problems and you will probably get a bit of proud flesh as part of the healing process and I suspect this is what your seeing.

I should have mentioned this at the beginning, but if you are concerned, give her a course of penicillin.

Sounds as though she is still giving you the run-around when it comes to milking so don't think there's too much wrong with her :) Try and get something organised to tie her back leg to - she's being a naughtly girl with all that shunting around with her feet. My Rosie does that every season both with hand milking and the machine and we have to have a few harsh words to remind her whose boss.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

11. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm a little late to help but...one of my goats got bit by our dog(a few years back) in the lip (going for the same treat pile) and it bled quite a bit but I just peroxided her a few times and it healed real fast...she still looks "hair-lipped" but still the best producer in the goat barn and best forager :) Hope your cow is all better!