Key Insecticides Disrupt Brain Development at Very Low Doses

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ladycat, Nov 9, 2006.

1. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

2. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder.This is just one more study that shows the safe levels to be unsafe .
    Two of my cousins worked in a near by green house as kids.They both got non hodjkins lymphoma.One is dead the other just got a cancerous lump on his ribs after beating the non h-lymphoma.
    Coincidence? :shrug:
    Chas

3. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

now while I am no particular fan of OP insecticides let's put a bit pf perspective on the data......first assuming the dosages are linear in scaling to people the doses used in the study represent a regime of receiving near maximal tolerated doses for 4 continuous days. Next consider that measured residues on produce have indicated that diazinon residues are rarely detected and seldom exceed 0.05 ppm....meaning, for example using spinach, for a person to recieve the lowest dose measured in the study 00.5 mg/kg) a person (75 kg) would have to consume 750 kg (about 1500 lbs) of spinach daily for four days to achieve this dose regime......for a 10 kg child to receive a dose equivalent to 0.5 mg/kg/bwt would have to eat 100 kg (about 220 pounds) of spinach daily for 4 days..the dose regime is not realistic and while interesting from a mechanistic viewpoint are not based in reality as far as risk to a individual from consuming produce.....any math questions I would be glad to clarify.....eat your veggies and relax.....

4. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I am also no fan of pesticides and grow using organic principles.
    However, the sight on the link is curious to me. Nowhere can I find a physical location for this center. Anyone with any information on that?
    Ann

5. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

When you open the link you can read more on the center once you click on about the center. The link on Staff give the office to be in Troy, Oregon. The study was done at Duke Medical Center.