Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure but I believe my heavy bred doe Cherry is in the starting stages of ketosis. She is not off her feed, and not acting off but all four hooves are swollen bad. She ate her Chaffhaye and AM grain just fine. She is due the 29th of this month. Any advice is helpful.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
When I have a heavy bred gal, I give CMPK toward the end of the pregnancy as a matter of course. A couple of weeks before due date, I'll inject 15-30 cc every other or every third day (depending on the doe is doing).

Ounce of prevention and all that. :)

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Alice I read over both links. The thing is she has only the swollen legs nothing else. She eats, drinks, peeing, pooping normal. Gut is still working she eat a ton of hay, drank some power punch. Only thing is above her hooves are horribly swollen and when tested for Ketosis and she tested right between neg. and trace. So I don't know if we caught it in time or does she have edema from being so heavy bred. I mean this girl is huge.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Poor girl, when is she due? If you have an exact due date, no possibility of other due dates, you can induce her to kid a few days early, might help. Is it possible she might be having founder?

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
Handymama, that is what I was thinking, i.e. that it could very well be related to her being so heavy with kids and not ketosis.

Could you wrap some warm towels around her ankles several times a day for awhile?

Reactions: handymama

·
Ages Ago Acres Nubians
2,609 Posts
Give the CMPk.. it's not going to hurt her if she doesn't need it.. but can sure save her if she does.. also small meals.. lots of carbs.. (I've been known to make bowls of oatmeal & brown sugar).. also don't forget about MAGIC.. (corn oil, karo..molasses.. does wonders)

good luck
susie

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are doing the MAGIC. The CMPK do you just inject the whole 15 cc ? I was told by the vet if its given fast it will kill her. I am assuming he means the whole thing correct?

Heres two pictures of her legs. Her front legs are worse then her back legs.

Attachments

·
Ages Ago Acres Nubians
2,609 Posts
On the cmpk. You want to give it sub q not iv. So when you get the needle in. Draw back to make sure you aren't in a vein. Then just push the 15cc's. Too much. Too fat in a vein is what the vet was warning about

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I was going to post the same link as Lohma acres.

I for one do not give lots of calcium pre-kidding. I know that's unpopular but I'm going with the dairy science side of things.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
I was going to post the same link as Lohma acres.

I for one do not give lots of calcium pre-kidding. I know that's unpopular but I'm going with the dairy science side of things.
I go with the "pseudo-science what works for my goats" side of things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts