Kerosene

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Fire-Man, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Where do you get your Kerosene? I bought a few of the bottles from Wal*Marts------cost to much, so I tried the type you use in a kerosene heater, It smoked Alot More. Is there a Bulk type that will work? Thanks Randy

2. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

I know certain gas stations carry it and I saw it the other day at my local Tractor supply. It was about 20 gals or so for about 20. bucks. Check in your phone book maybe you'd find some there as well.

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

How are you using the kerosene you buy? In heaters or in lamps?

For my lamps, I buy clear K-1 (or is it 1-K?) kerosene in 2.5 gallon plastic jugs at various building centers.

4. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry---------------In Lamps!!

5. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Try your hardware store. We can get it in 5 gallon plastic buckets of a better grade. There is some that has pariffin mixed into it so don't let it freeze as it will seperate.

6. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Well-Known Member

I use the K-1 which I believe is the same a jet fuel? I purchased it in bulk at a place that sells a variety of petroleum products. I got an oil drum and store it in there on one of those saw horses, like we did in the Out Iislands of the Bahamas as a child. Then all I have to do is fill the kerosine can I keep in the house for the the lamps. If they need to be refilled I do not have to venture out to fill them. When I need more kero, I just go out to the drum and turn the spiggot, using a funnel to be sure it goes into the smaller house can. I undo the handle and remove it and replace it when I use it. That prevents unauthorized use of the kerosine.
    I just want to warn, do not store gasoline in the same manner, as it is highly explosive and you need a specially vented and valved storage tank. They are very expensive, but much safer. Iknow some of us have generators, and other machinery that require gasoline.

7. Gercarson

Gercarson Well-Known Member Supporter

Or, as we always called it "coal oil" is pretty expensive around here. I paid over $3.50 a gallon for it just two days ago. We use it for lamps - never know when the electricity will "go out" here in fllimsey Florida. I need to keep a supply too, because lately we have had a rash of hurricanes that have taken out the power for quite a while. Hard to find but get it at a local gas station.

8. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I get my Kerosene at the gas station. Most of the stations around us have kerosene. The pumps are easy to spot they have short hoses on them, you cant reach a car with them. You have to fill containers next to the pump.

9. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

We use regular kerosene that we purchase right at the local gas stations. Our gas stations have it at a pump right on the island with the gas and diesel.

We use it in our lamps and when we need just a little heat, we use it in our kerosene heater. I buy it weekly. But the price has gone up from $1.59 to $2.99, so I am cutting back on the use of it. I'm ordering another string of solar lights this week, as that doesn't cost us anything to run.

And today, we fired up the big wood stove, even though we could have survived without it, but the kerosene heater is costing us too much to run right now.

10. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Used to be able to get it at gas stations around here too, but now we have to go to a big place that sells large quantities of petro products. Got a 5 gal bucket for $2.75 or so a gallon. It was high priced.