Kerosene storage

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by duke3522, Dec 22, 2004.

1. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I use to heat with K-1 but now I use oil filled electric for most of our heat. However, I am keeping a K-1 heater for emergancies. So I am wondering about how long you can store kerosene.

Merry Christmas

duke

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I've seen diesel used that was at least five years old. I've used old home heating oil that I've salvaged from a house being demolished. No one had lived there for some time. I also bought a 2,000 gallon skid mounted tank that had sat for years unused. I tore up a wire rope come-along trying to get it on a trailer. I couldn't understand why it was so difficult to skid onto the trailer. When I got it to the house and pumped it out, I found there was still 400 gals. of kerosene in it. Kerosene like diesel is an oil. If you store it for decades it will still burn. As long as you can filter any foreign material out of it, it should be fine.

Gasoline OTOH is a different story. If you're going to store it for years you need to use a product like PRI-G.

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

You can use the fuel stabilizer called "Sta-Bil" to increase the shelf life of kerosene.

4. Dave in Ohio

Dave in Ohio Well-Known Member

Kerosene will last indefinately but diesel will degrade.

5. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the answers everyone. I have 5-5gallon K-1 plastic cans that I plan to use. So if my containers are clean, and if I seal them tight, the kerosene should keep for 5+ years without a problem.

duke