Kerosene lanter question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Columbia,SC., Jan 20, 2007.

1. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

We just went thru a ice storm and we went w/o lights for a few days, I have a generator so all was fine.
    My question is this,, Can you run cheap kerosene(from the gas pump at the store) in a lantern , you know the ones like on little house on the prairre with a wick you twist up for more light? I had someone tell me NO WAY! but I know people use it in space heaters. I bought a gallon of it for $2.20 and a small bottle of additave to cut the smell. I did not use it but I would like to know I can. You can buy it in a can from the feed store but it is like $7 a gallon, what is the differance?
    P.S. I do not know if it is K-1 or not, would it matter?

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Those lamps were originally designed for kerosene. The difference is the scents added to "lamp oil" and sometimes dyes to make it look pretty. Its still kerosene

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Can you link a pic so I know what lamps you mean?

BooBoo :gromit:

4. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

make sure you use clear kerosene and not that junk with the red dye..

i was usin one as a night light and i was lucky enough to wake to a room filled with black smoke.... the flame seemed to be turned up on full.... seems something happened to the wick .... had a crusty ash type buildup on it.... sort of like those black snake pellets ya lit on fire as a kid and the snake grew out of the pellet?

i blamed it on the dye, but pretty much stopped using them after this happened

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

K1 kerosene from the pumps should be fine for the old style lamps.

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I agree with Agmantoo...as long as it's rated K-1 it's okay...even for Aladdin lamps. I've used gas station kerosene in my Aladdins with no problems.

7. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

all the dye is for is to indicate that no road tax was paid on it,

it has nothing to do with the burn qualities,

you more than likely got some light fuel oil that was notK1 kerosene but probably K2 or even #2 diesel or even jet fuel, some people call the whole family of products Kerosene

8. Columbia,SC.

It said kerosene on the pump, I am not sure if it has die in it or not, I don't think it does.

9. crafty2002

crafty2002 Well-Known Member

You can use kerosene in them. Let the wick soak after you put it in the lantern for a couple hours and adjust it so the flame isn't too high and it will do ok.

Freight Train, more than likely you lit it before the wick got soaked really good and had the wick turned up too high.
    If it is soaked good and starts sutting up the glass, it is turned up to high.

The best lanterns are the ones labeled for white gas, like a Coleman with the mantiles and the finger pumps, and any gas will work. Some just gives off a slight smell but they work good anyway.

10. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

I got 3 of these - 2 newer ones, and an old WWII version. They burn almost anything (alcohol, gas, kero, diesel, coleman fuel, oil of citronela/gas mixes, etc. A little smoky to start, but brilliant light once you get 'em going.

http://www.petromax.com/index.html

Sort of like a coleman lantern, but multi-fuel without changing anything - even mix in the lantern if you want.

11. Cabin Fever

Runner, do you pre-heat the generator on your PetroMax with the built-in "blow torch" or with the alcohol pan?

12. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

The coleman propane lanterns are very nice. Best part is you can carry them around like a flashlight.

13. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

I've preheated them most often with the blow torch thing, and yeah, you pump like hell, but it usually gets going in less than a minute. A cigarette lighter works too, just warm up that loop, hit the gas and go... Stick lighters work the best as far as lighters go. You light the thing OUTDOORS of course!

We have bottles of Oil of Citronella mixed with coleman fuel 50/50 or more, and it seems to do a decient job of keeping the bugs away. 100% Citronella is a little smokier than I like, 50/50 burns nice & clean. The whole campsite smells like Citronella after half an hour, and because it's a heavier fuel, we've gotten close to dusk to dawn on a single load of fuel & maybe 1 or 2 additional pump ups. (I fill 'em as full as possible, the heat from the lantern keeps the pressure up almost till it's empty).

With the two brackets I made for the boat, we have 'em hanging about 4' over the water for night fishing - just below our line of sight, so you can imagine how NICE those big shades are.

BTW - I rebuilt my WWII one with parts I ordered from Britelyt, these things haven't changed much in a century, a 250cps is still a 250cps, etc., but I did change the oriface to knock it down to 150cps to give me longer run time on the old one.

Here's a better link:
    http://www.britelyt.com/

QUOTE: "From their efforts arose the most powerful & reliable lanterns in the world.( Petromax lanterns run on kerosene only) BriteLyt lanterns run on a variety of fuels.. kerosene, alcohol-based fuels, mineral spirits, citronella oil, gasoline, Biodiesel, diesel fuel, Coleman fuel, & almost every flammable fuel available on the market, Methanol, Ethanol and all Alcohol Fuels."

WOW! I just saw the prices (huge increases!)... still worth it for camping, non-electric homes, emergency backup or ??? Lots of steady WHITE light. We've had our newer ones over 10 years, and I'd highly recommend these folks in Florida. I also got a dual mantel coleman (a bug caller) - there's no comparison in performance, burn time, mantle strength, etc.., but they do RUST, and the globes are so thin rain spatter cracks 'em.

14. Cabin Fever

I've bought parts and mantles from BriteLyt over the years. They are a super customer-friendly company. Probably the best part I bought for my PetroMax is the scraeder valve attachment to use in place of the thumb pump. Now I use a bicycle tire pump to pressurize my lantern...only takes about 3 or 4 strokes. I generally burn a 50:50 mix of kerosene and Coleman fuel....especially in the winter. It's hard to get 100% ice-cold kerosene to light in the blow torch preheater in the winter.

Below is our PetroMax near the ceiling of our guest cabin....I can lower and raise it using the wire cable that it is attached to.
    [​IMG]

15. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

Nice guest (and cabin)! Is that the 500cp or the 250cp? It looks too big for the little one.

I looked at those schaeder (sp?) valves, and I was thinking of just drilling a hole and mounting a metal one - but, the heat build up prevented me. I'd like to have both pump and valve.

How much longer do you think Kero burns compared to white gas / coleman fuel?

16. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

That cheap stuff is the only kind I ever used.

You can also use white gasoline in coleman lanterns.

17. Cabin Fever

Ya know, it's not a big deal swapping the schraeder valve and the thumb pump back and forth...if that's what you want to do. They both just screw on and off with hand pressure (no tools needed).

I guess I never thought about which fuel lasts longer in the lantern. Typically, we only burn for a couple hours at a time.

The lantern in my cabin is a 500CP...the guest in my cabin is a 10.

18. Columbia,SC.

Hey all, I don't mean to interupt ya'll because everything you have said has been very informative! I did ride back by the store and it is K-1 kerosene so after everything I have read I will LET IT BURN! Thanks for the help and extra replies!
    P.S. I have only used unleaded gas in my Coleman lantern for the last 25 years, outside of coarse! It still burns clean and bright!

19. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Unleaded is approximately the same as white gas. I think the only difference is, white gas has no additives.