Kerosene Lamp Smell Remedies

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mtnmanlou, Nov 24, 2005.

1. mtnmanlou

mtnmanlou Member

Okay gang. I just received my Amish Double Flat Wick Kerosene lamp from Lehmans today. I fill the reservoir light it and 10 minutes later everyone in the house is complaining of the smell, closing doors and opening windows.

This particular lamp states that it should be used with kerosene only. Do you have any ideas on how to minimize the smell? I thought I had read on someone's webpage that you can put a few drops of essential oil (your choice) and that this would take care of it. Is that right?

Any thoughts?

2. mtnmanlou

mtnmanlou Member

It took a few hours with all the windows open to get the smell out of the house. Is that normal for kerosene? Is it possible that the strong odor is due to using kerosene that is too old. I used a can that has been in the garage for a few years. Would that cause the smell to be particularly heavy?

Since I have not used kerosene lamps before I don't know if this is normal or not. However, I can say that the smell, even to me, was pervasive.

Any thoughts?

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Are you using K1 kerosense?

4. mtnmanlou

mtnmanlou Member

The container says Klean-Strip 1-K fuel grade kerosene for heater and lamps

5. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

I'm gonna sorta hijack your thread for a second here...

Can you use regular "oil lamp" oil in a kerosene lamp?

If you can, then you can buy scentless lamp oil at any of the big chain stores, i.e., KMart, etc. That stuff works pretty well, lasts a while too. They have two kinds of lamp oil - the cheaper stuff which isn't scentless, and the little bit more expensive stuff that isn't supposed to stink.

Just a thought.

6. mtnmanlou

mtnmanlou Member

Lehmans said that the double wick lamp that I have should be used with kerosene only as it is the only "oil" the really works well with this lamp.

So I don't know if that will work?

Thanks for the idea.

7. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of kerosene lamps. I had the same problems originally... finally bit the bullet and bought some humphrey gas lights. No smell, but a definite increase in soot on the ceilings. I still have both, and use them only when the grid goes down, and I'm trying to conserve my battery banks for on demand lights and radios...

8. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

I found that my kerosene heater smells MUCH worse when the wick is dirty (obviously not a problem for you) or if we had accidentally spilled any on the outside of the heater. Maybe you spilled a little, and it's evaporating off the outside, rather than burning fully? Once I started using the big funnel to fill the heater, most of the smell problems went away.

9. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Umm, are you keeping the top of the wick well below the metal "cone"? Did you just fill it and light it? How soon afer filling did you light it? You need to give the wicks time to wick up the fuel--with large wicks like that it takes a little while.

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Did you have it turned up too high, trying to get a 'reasonable' amount of light out of it? If so it would have been smoking pretty bad and that really stinks. These lamps really don't put out a lot of light and it is tempting to try turning them up.

11. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

I ran into that problem with my oil lamps but you can tell when you do it really quick - because the glass cover gets blacked up with soot in no time.

I know what you mean - it is tempting to turn 'em up! But the time required to clean the chimneys isn't worth it...

12. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

try out some "parafin oil" its oderless and smokeless.. so ya can turn up the wick a tad more for more light

13. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Any oil burning lamp is going to have some odor. Buy scented, purified oil, or learn to live with the scent. Keep your wicks trimed. don't try to turn it up too high!

14. mtnmanlou

mtnmanlou Member

Antique Stuff/Cyngbaeld
    I am keeping the wick below the metal cone, I lit it right after I filled it for about an hour (possibility that it was burning off a spill, BUT the next day it still smelled the same...VERY STRONG), I set the lamp brightness by increasing the wick height until it smokes and then backing it off until it burns clean. No soot on the chimney.

Freight Train/BGAK47

Lehmans says that the Double Flat Wick Lamp should be burned with Kerosene Only. Why would this be? Do you think paraffin oil or scented lamp oil would work? HOW ABOUT MIXING KEROSENE WITH PARAFFIN OR SCENTED LAMP OIL?

Let me know what you think.

15. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

The scent of kerosene lamps bring back memories of old.Doing homework by lamp light,the old barn (which we lived in at the time) was so drafty it was hard to keep the lamps from going out.
    Got to fill ours up soon,we dont mind the scent,got used to it a long time ago.

16. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Well, it won't ruin the lamp to give it a try. Their website says kerosene works best, but if it is running you out of the house you won't be able to use it. What I would try is to pour out the kero, remove the wicks and wash the whole kit and caboodle with hot soapy water (except the wicks of course). When dry, put in new wicks and fill with the lamp oil (no kerosene) and give that a try.

17. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I know hind sight is 20-20, but you should have purchased an Aladdin lamp. There is no kerosene smell when burning an Aladdin. The mantle over the Aladdin wick is burning "white hot." That white heat burns off any fumes and pollution that other wick lamps allow to disperse into the home.

18. mtnmanlou

mtnmanlou Member

Cyngbaeld: I think I will give that a try. Do you think that I can reuse the same wicks that have been in the kerosene when I refill with liquid paraffin. It seem like it should burn off pretty quick? What do you think.

Secondly, where can I get liquid paraffin in California? Any ideas

Cabin Fever: I think my next lamp will be an Aladdin. No kerosene smell at all? Wow.

Thanks

19. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Place a block of camphor in the tank.
    OR
    Make sure room is ventilated and place 2 teaspoons of vanilla in the kerosene tank.
    OR
    Place a dish of water on top of the heater, and add a few drops of eucalyptus oil.

20. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

I'm in NY but my K-mart sells it. I've also seen it in craft stores. I haven't bought it because of the expense but I have started to research olive oil lamps. Anyone have any experience with these?
    I wouldn't use the wick from the kerosene. Start with a fresh wick.