Kerosene in oil furnace

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by NYMary, Nov 27, 2005.

1. NYMary

NYMary New Member

This may be silly but.. is it safe to burn kerosene in an oil furnace?? Does it depend on the age??

2. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

Yes it is ok.
    When it starts to get really cold I used to mix the tank #2 and #1(kerosene) keeps it from cangelling

3. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

Kerosene and fuel oil are almost identical. Fuel oil is #2 and kerosene is #1 -- just a little more refined to burn a little cleaner. If you have an outside tank kerosene has a lower freezing point and will prevent problems in the very cold weather.

Ken & Sue in Glassboro, NJ

4. mink

mink Well-Known Member

mary almost everyone here in new york burns kerosene if they have an outside tank...mink

5. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

When I had an oil furnace, I would shut it off for a few hours after a delivery, because the new oil stirred up the sediment in the tank. Once I turned the furnace back on and it began to chug and make a low roar. My landlord couldn't find a reason. The oil company owner came out. We drained a coffee can of oil and tossed in a match and it exploded. Turns out I had gotten a load of gasoline for no extra charge.

6. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Kerosene Burns a little hotter than oil , to get the best fuil economy you might think to change the burner sprayer , or at least alter the amount of air the combustion chamber gets , squeeze every drop of heat out of the fuil .

7. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Real kerosene has to meet some requirements relating to burning in a wick and not leaving lots of debris in the wick after burning. Regular No 1 fuel oil may not meet those exact requirements--in other words, kerosene should be a good substitute for #1 fuel oil, but #1 may not burn as well in a lantern or wick type kerosen heater.

8. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have an older fuel oil heater you can use off road #2 diesel. The day that they are to deliver I put a jug of Power Service in so it doesn't jell and when they fill the tank it mixes it up good. Check the price I know in my area there's a $.75 difference.

Bobg

9. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

Ive never heard of using kerosene in an oil burner. you learn something new everyday