Kerosene heater went NUTS!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fantasymaker, Jan 19, 2007.

1. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

I had one of those round free standing kerosene heaters running in the front room.
    I went in my storage room to get a book I needed while rumaging around in there I closed the door behind me.
    After a minute or 2 I started to smell something,I thought I must have disturbed a container of something but I couldnt figger what after another 2or 3 minutes it hit me it was "smokey" smelling I opened the door to a wall of thick blackness .
    I thought the house was burning down,Couldnt see anything ,slammed door shut grabbed flash light and prepared to run thru the flames and out the door.Checked door ,door wasnt hot .
    Away I went out the front door stood there for a few seconds with black smoke pouring out of house . Ran around the house peering in the windows nope no flames. smoke has cleared out a bit and I can see under it that its the heater smokeing elaped time from closing door about 5 minutes from dicovering smoke maybe 1.
    Run in shut off heater and drag it out . Grab box fan and set it in door pointed in to ventalate the house .

Now the houses insides are coverd with soot not black but everything I touch gets ya grimey and when ya wipe stuff off it it smears.

And every cobweb in the house sure stands out!

Any Ideas on how I clean this stuff up?

2. fantasymaker

Shouldnt my smoke detecter have went off? Mom gives everyone new battereis at Christmass so I had just replaced it and tested the detecter.

3. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

Greased Lightning cuts that stuff pretty well. You can find it at Lowe's.

Judy<---the sad voice of experience.....

4. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Mean Green from the Dollar Store.

5. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

THat happened in My Ma's dining room in the late 80's/ I thought she put something funky in the tank.

6. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

You will be living with that soot for many years. You will be amazed at the places it got into.

Besides fire danger, one of the reasons State Farm apparently will cancel a policy if they learn someone uses a kerocene space heater or will not pay on policy if damage is found to result from one.

7. CGUARDSMAN

CGUARDSMAN Well-Known Member

your smoke detector should have gone off as well as a co detector if you have one.

8. shar

shar Well-Known Member

Sorry about all the clean up you are going to have to do, but am thankful
    that your house is still standing and no injuries. You might want to check
    on-line to see if there were any recalls or reported problems with the brand of heater you had, if so contact the manufactor. Glad your safe.

9. fantasymaker

LOL Ive spent the last few hours being amazed at the places it has gotten into.
    Sure wish I knew what triggered it. :help:
    Feeling dumb for apparently not knowing how to run this thing after all these years :shrug:

10. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

How long had it been running before it started to soot up? How recently had you filled the tank? Are you sure the fuel you added was pure - didn't have water in it? Any possibility of it having been bumped by something, such as a pet?

11. fantasymaker

No pets except fish . It had to do all the sooting in less than 5 minutes.
    Ive been working along thinking I was glad it it went up because me white carpet didnt look bad I just moved a couch and discoverd it was my GRAY carpet that didnt look bad. Its gonna be a pain.

12. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

I've had that happen when I'm not paying attention to the fuel gauge. Burned wick instead of fuel. You are supposed to burn them dry every once in a while, but do it outdoors, not inside. The greasy smoke is why. Easy Off Bam grease cutter formula should do the trick for walls and floors. The rest is going to make you crazy. And it takes forever to get the smell out of drapes and furniture. Might as well kiss that carpet goodbye too. It will always smell funny now.

13. fantasymaker

14. KenPerry

KenPerry Member

Was this the first time using the heater this season? If so, did you store the heater correctly at the end of last season by burning it dry? Seasoning a new wick and proper storage help keep the smoking nad soot problems to a minimum....

Here's a great resource for kerosene heaters...

http://www.endtimesreport.com/kerosene.html