Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use an Aladdin TR5000 for heat and it really has a strong kerosene odor to it...I bought it used and have cleaned the will with a soft toothbrush as shown in you tube video...Please Help I am really scared about carbon monoxide plus everything I own smells really bad now...UGH Help
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,804 Posts
What is the condition of the current wick?
When we used a kerosene heater we never could get a cleaned wick to work as well as a new one so we would buy wicks on clearance and just change it every year.

We stopped using our kerosene heater when the only gas station selling it closed. By then kero was around $5 a gallon and it was cheaper to use electric space heaters.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,804 Posts
This site has good pictures and instructions for cleaning the heater and changing the wick.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you possibly using too much wick, and getting black soot/smoke as a result ?
Are you possibly using too much wick, and getting black soot/smoke as a result ?
No sir I do not think so I do turn it all the way up to light and then lower it as needed...i have started getting headaches and my eyes are burning a lot also...Right now this is the only heat i can get...Very Frustrated as the house is so strong in odor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the condition of the current wick?
When we used a kerosene heater we never could get a cleaned wick to work as well as a new one so we would buy wicks on clearance and just change it every year.

We stopped using our kerosene heater when the only gas station selling it closed. By then kero was around $5 a gallon and it was cheaper to use electric space heaters.
I didn't think the wick looked that bad but yes tomorrow I will go buy another one...My head hurts and eyes burn...i am scared I just might not wake up in morning so I cut off at night...Thank you for responding
 

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
Joined
·
18,323 Posts
Old or contaminated fuel Did the previous owner run it with fuel oil/diesel fuel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope not but they did show me how to use it and they only said kerosene...but if they had used diesel I would think it would be burned off by now?? I have been using for 2 weeks now...do you think that also?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Old or contaminated fuel Did the previous owner run it with fuel oil/diesel fuel?
No sir I think they only used kerosene but I have used it for 2 weeks...i may replace the wick and just see if that helps...i am so scared of dying cause of carbon monoxide poisoning...i have got headaches and eyes burn...So frustrated!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,804 Posts
When my grandparents had a coal burning furnace they left a window open just a bit to allow fresh air in the house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
I hope not but they did show me how to use it and they only said kerosene...but if they had used diesel I would think it would be burned off by now?? I have been using for 2 weeks now...do you think that also?
Yes, whatever they might've used would be long gone by now. But what kind of kerosene are you using? It has to be K-1 for an unvented heater. K-2 has much more sulfur and maybe other impurities, and should be used only in vented heaters, or outdoors. If you're using K-2, it might explain your problems.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top