Kennel cough

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by SquashNut, Jan 17, 2007.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

How ong does kennel cough usually last?
    MY dog is stll having some congestion after 3 1/2 weeks. HE is quiet most of the night but wakes us in the morning coughing still.
    HE is down to A little robitussin twice a day, and I was able to skip one dose yesterday, but not today. Is It normal for the tail end of the illness to hang on for a while?

2. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Yes, it's possible. Just like people, the effects of the illness can be long term. I was hoping GM or PYr would come along but they haven't and I didn't want you sitting out there with no response. I don't have any real advice for you other than to say you might want to take him in and have the vet listen to his chest. Make sure it hasn't turned into something else...Perhaps some mild antibiotics... I would probably do some supplementing of feed with yucca and peppermint and perhaps a few other things. :shrug:

3. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

4. Pyrenees

Pyrenees Well-Known Member

Good response. Kennel cough can be due to any number of different "bugs" all with differing strains. The duration and severity of symptoms can vary considerably. Most cases of kennel cough go away on their own...they will generally clear up a lot faster with antibiotics...but not alway necessary. Agree with Cricket though, if you're pushing a month and it's still lingering, a trip to the vet would be a good idea because in some cases kennel cough can head south into the lungs and cause pneumonia.

5. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Yes, it can last for a while in some dogs. Like us when we get a cold. Some people kick it in a few days, others have it hang on.

I know you've done antibiotics already and they can help in many cases, but many of the causes of KC are viral. The antibiotics can help prevent a secondary infection but they won't do anything for the virus. You pretty much have to wait that out.

Having said that, if he's not getting any better I agree with Cricket that the dog should be checked by your vet to make sure nothing else has developed.

6. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

Good news, ruger is almost over the kennel cough. He has not needed the robotusin since yesterday morning.
    Wow I hope we do not have this stuff here again. It was like having 3 little sick kids here for the last month.
    Not only the 2 older dogs being sick, but potty training Maggie and teaching her the rules and regulations for our home.
    She is a real spit fire. Fortuntely her and Ruger are best buddys.