Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
II Corinthians 5:7
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My refrigerator was put in new in 2006 and is still cooling well. However, it started condensation on the inside shelving and I also found water on the floor under it. It is an automatic defrost; so I thought something just got clogged. My questions:

Does this type of refrigerator have a drip pan that catches the water that is located "under" the refrigerator? In taking the part inside (next to light at top under freezer but inside refrigerator section) out, it did not show clogged though there was water in the little pan. I'm guessing this little pan catches the liquid when it defrosts. Is this true? When this little pan drains, where does the water go? Does it go to a drip pan under the refrigerator itself? I'm wondering how the water gets on the floor under this refrigerator....

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,462 Posts
You will have to find the model number and look it up online. There are SO many models that just the year isn't enough info to help you. The number should be on a label on the inside of one of the doors.

The drain line to the pan may be displaced.

The pan may be full of dust and icky stuff and overflowing.

The pans don't drain. The water evaporates. If you haven't had it out since 2006, it is likely VERY icky.

·
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a Kenmore model #253,63742302; and though I did see a little mildew inside that drain pan, I found nothing clogged. I didn't see a way for the drain line to this pan to be displaced as there was only one way to put it back.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Condensation on the insides could be from a bad door seal. They do go bad after a while.

Thoroughly inspect the door gasket and give it a good cleaning while you are at it. Also clean where the door seal seats on the body of the refrigerator.

It’s a free simple step to try first before going any further with diagnosis. If the condensation is heavy enough it can pool on the floor after a while.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I second the above, I had a problem with condensation and some uneven cooling, and it turned out to be the seals.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,653 Posts

Clean the refrigerator defrost drain tube

Clean the refrigerator defrost drain tube
As part of the refrigerator's defrost cycle, the defrost drain tube transfers condensate from the evaporator drip tray that's under the evaporator to the drain pan in the machine compartment next to the compressor, where the water evaporates. If the evaporator drip tray or top of the drain tube freezes, the condensate water can overflow into the freezer or the refrigerator compartment. This repair involves thawing that drain area so that the condensate properly flows through the defrost drain tube and into the drain pan next to the compressor.
Clean the refrigerator drain pan

Clean the refrigerator drain pan
As part of the refrigerator's defrost cycle, the fridge drain pan collects condensate water that melts from the evaporator fins, collects in the evaporator drip tray below the evaporator and then flows through the defrost drain tube to the drain pan in the machine compartment next to the compressor. The drain pan can sometimes form mildew or collect insects. This repair involves accessing and cleaning the drain pan.

·
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weaselfire, there is no ice forming on bottom of freezer compartment.

Checked the door gasket all around door and cleaned it. Seemed ok.

The defrost drain tube was checked. It took about 10 minutes to figure out how to pulled out and door was open entire time; then it was flushed. Found no evidence of freezing but believe it could have been frozen lightly and maybe thawed during this investigation process. (The condensation inside has not been a constant; but when it does occur, there is a lot of it.) Since this was pulled, checked and put back there has not been any condensation at all in refrigerator.)

BFF I'm not understanding your last part, i.e. "Clean the refrigerator drain pan". If it is the little tray that we pulled out (directly under the freezer but still inside the refrigerator part) this is what we fiddled with. Your post stated, "The fridge drain pan collects condensate water that melts from the evaporator fins, collects in the evaporator drip tray below the evaporator and then flows through the defrost drain tube to the drain pan in the machine compartment next to the compressor." Since I'm not familiar with the terms I cannot get a clear picture of what this is saying....fridge drain pan collects condensate and flows thru drain tube to the drain pan...I only saw one drain pan. I did see the tube and flushed it though it didn't need to be flushed. It was not dirty nor did it have any insects in it. All I saw was a tiny bit of mildew which was cleaned out.

·
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. Have not found any water on the floor since; and no condensation inside the fridge either. :)

·
Registered
567 Posts

·
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is a great URL and very clear. Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts