kenmore 80 series dryer access

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by leaping leon, Jan 2, 2005.

1. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

Yesterday my husband pushed a peice of paper, he later said it was about 3x5 inches, into the lint filter opening. He also ran the dryer afterward, although I told him not to because I was afraid the paper might catch on fire. Today I tried to fish the paper out with adhesive tape firmly attached to a coat hanger with no luck. I also tried to run the dryer on AIR DRY with the lint filter removed hoping the paper would blow out. It is definitely in there, I can hear it rustling around when I start the dryer. The last time I started it, the dryer sounded like the paper might be caught in a belt or something, it started making a sort of squalling noise. How can I get this paper out of the dryer? A visit from a repairman would really put a dent in our budget right now. It's a model 67832794 67832. Thank you for any help you can give.

ps I can't explain my husband's behavior.

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Take the back off, after you unplug the dryer from the wall. If it's a gas dryer not only unplug the dryer but be careful pulling the dryer away from the wall to avoid breaking the flexible gas line.

After you get the back off you should see a vertical metal tube-like structure on the left looking from back to front. You should be able to remove the part of it facing you by removing several screws. By removing that part you should be able to see and remove the paper. It's an easy job that shouldn't take more than a half hour if you can get to the back of the dryer easily.

3. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

Thanks, Darren. We're going to Church tonight, so I probably won't be able to take the back off until tomorrow. With the top open it didn't appear that I could access the lint filter housing from the back, so I didn't want to pull it away from the wall (it's in a tight laundry niche) without knowing if it would do any good.

4. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

The question begs to be asked.............why did he shove a piece of paper inside the lint trap ?
    If your house burns down and an insurance investigator finds it in there (and he will) say goodbye to your insurance.
    These guys look for anything that will get them off the hook regardless of how remote.
    And as previously posted, go ahead and pull the back off, getting it out is an easy job.
    You made my day, pretty funny.