Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090117/ap_on_re_us/salmonella_outbreak

*****WASHINGTON – What began as an investigation of bulk peanut butter shipped to nursing homes and institutional cafeterias has broadened with the Kellogg Co. recalling 16 products and federal officials confirming salmonella contamination at a Georgia facility that ships peanut products to 85 food companies

Kellogg had asked stores earlier this week to pull some of its venerable Keebler crackers from shelves as a precaution. But in a statement late Friday the Battle Creek, Mich., company announced it was voluntarily recalling the crackers and other products in light of the problems in Georgia.

The nationwide salmonella outbreak has sickened hundreds of people in 43 states and killed at least six.

"The actions we are taking today are in keeping with our more than 100-year commitment to providing consumers with safe, high-quality products," said David Mackay, Kellogg's president and CEO. "We apologize for this unfortunate situation."

The recall includes Austin and Keebler branded Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers, as well as some snack-size packs of Famous Amos Peanut Butter Cookies and Keebler Soft Batch Homestyle Peanut Butter Cookies....****

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
Makes you wonder how come there have been soooooo Many Salmonilla outbreaks this past year or so, when you never used to hear about that stuff. Were there still the same problems & no one put it on the news or are people just really getting careless in Hygeine & packaging of food type products or what? Really makes me wonder what is going on across this country .

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Makes you wonder how come there have been soooooo Many Salmonilla outbreaks this past year or so, when you never used to hear about that stuff. Were there still the same problems & no one put it on the news or are people just really getting careless in Hygeine & packaging of food type products or what? Really makes me wonder what is going on across this country .
Is this really a problem, or more of a "witch hunt", since it appears that Salmonella is rather common?

From the CDC themselves -

"How common is salmonellosis?

Every year, approximately 40,000 cases of salmonellosis are reported in the United States. Because many milder cases are not diagnosed or reported, the actual number of infections may be thirty or more times greater. Salmonellosis is more common in the summer than winter.

Children are the most likely to get salmonellosis. The rate of diagnosed infections in children less than five years old is about five times higher than the rate in all other persons. Young children, the elderly, and the immunocompromised are the most likely to have severe infections. It is estimated that approximately 400 persons die each year with acute salmonellosis.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Big news around here, Battle Creek, the home of Kellogg's, is not to far away

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/Kelloggs_recalls_more_PB_products

Quote:
Officials said they are focusing on peanut paste, as well as peanut butter, produced at a Blakely, Ga., facility owned by Peanut Corp. of America . Under scrutiny are 32 of the 85 companies that Peanut Corp. supplies, because of when they received shipments of peanut butter or paste . The companies are being urged to test their products, or pull them from the shelves as Kellogg did.

The processing plant passed its last inspection this summer.

Peanut Corp. initially recalled 21 lots of peanut butter made at the plant since July 1 because of possible salmonella contamination . But late Friday the company expanded its voluntary recall to include all peanut butter produced at the Georgia plant since Aug. 8 and all peanut paste produced since Sept. 26 . The company, which suspended peanut butter processing at the facility, said none of its peanut butter is sold directly to consumers but is
distributed to institutions, food service industries and private label food companies.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
There have been 6 deaths linked to this particular outbreak, so that would be one reason for the efforts I haven't found anyting about if they were already ailing (old, ill, infants?) or if is JUST from the salmonella.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Wish I had read this yesterday BEFORE I gave darling precious Nina one of those crackers. Thank goodness it was only one. I still had a mess to clean up off the carpet (uncontrollable explosive diarrhea while preparing for bath time) from only one, so can't imagine what it would have been like had I given her the whole pack like I usually do!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chicken Mommy, hope your little feels better soon. Will you take her to the doc just to be safe? I'd take the crackers too.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
They're saying it's a good idea right now to not eat ANYTHING with peanut butter in it, because there just not sure. Kinda scay DH wanted me to not eat anymore of the JIF I bought a week ago, but we've been eating without any problems.

G

·
They're saying it's a good idea right now to not eat ANYTHING with peanut butter in it, because there just not sure. Kinda scay DH wanted me to not eat anymore of the JIF I bought a week ago, but we've been eating without any problems.
Good advice for people who don't know where their food came from.

I'm not afraid of my Eastwind peanut butter (made by a very small cooperative in the Missouri Ozarks).

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and this just in from the HEB grocery stores in texas

http://www.ksat.com/news/18504746/detail.html

****SAN ANTONIO -- HEB has issued a state-wide voluntary recall of HE-Buddy Snack Packs that contain peanut butter dip.

The recall is only a precaution. No illnesses have been reported.

"We are strongly committed to ensuring the safety of our customers and of the products sold in our stores," said Winell Herron, the vice president of public affairs for HEB. "The product has been removed from all our stores and will be returned only once it is completely safe."

The product contains peanut butter supplied by Peanut Corp. of America, which is being linked to a national outbreak of salmonella.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
We only have Sunbutter in our house, and glad for it. Geeze this it getting nuts.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Chicken Mommy, hope your little feels better soon. Will you take her to the doc just to be safe? I'd take the crackers too.
Thanks for the concern. She never did actually feel bad enough for me to be able to tell beyond the diarrhea that one time. According to the Dr. Father of a friend of mine, since it was just the once not to worry. I went through my cupboards immediately and called her mommy and had her go through hers also. She is fine now, in fact it would be really nice if she would act a little tired cause Gammy is VERY tired and would like to go beddy bye, but little darling Nina doesn't think that's a good idea!

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Costco just called us! Aparently, the cliff bars that I purchased from them were part of the recalled batch. Now I wonder if we really have the flu?

Cindyc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts