Keeping Warm & Deer Hunting

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Haggis, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I like to carry a 90 year old Hudson's Bay Double Blanket with me. I sit in a regular lawn chair and wrap the blanket around my middle. On the ground, under the chair, I light a fair size candle.

The blanket folds into four thicknesses and holds in my body heat and the heat from the candle. Add a pair of Lacrosse Iceman boots, some good insulated coveralls, a touch of blase orange, a thermos of coffee, and I'm good to go.

2. A good pair of wool socks to keep my feet warm and the rest of me can take the cold. If my feet are cold then the rest of me suffers also.

3. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I just dress for the weather, & a candle would seem to be counterproductive to my hunting. My deer seem to be able to smell a candle for quite a ways.

4. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

As long as my feet are warm, I am warm. If my feet get cold I freeze so I usually put on a couple of pairs of socks and stuff foot warmers into my boots. Other than that all I need is my blaze orange hooded sweat shirt and I am good to go.

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I've got an assortment of stuff that is layered depending on the days weather....and covered with the required "Blaze Orange" hooded sweatshirt.
    And boots depend on the weather, also---with the oversized, insulated LaCrosse boots for the coldest days----I can put on 3 pair of warm socks!

And, I'm lucky enough to have the warm house right here, in the middle of my hunting ground.

Besides the candle, don't the deer, also, get suspicious of the smell of coffee?

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Anymore it is just too dang warm around here.This year should be good suppose to start out lows in the upper 20's,highs in the 50's.In the old days when it was cold pack a Sleeping Bag in crawl in it,Drink lots of water.

big rockpile

7. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I gets pretty cold on the deer stand in nothern Minnesota.

I've never subscribed to the whole camo/scent control dogma. I just position myself downwind from where I expect the deer to be. I hunt with modern rifle, muzzleloader, and recurve bow, and I've never had a problem. I had deer as little as two feet from me and not know I was there. It's all in the wind. I've killed a lot of deer without making any effort to control scent other than staying downwind.

8. tallpines

How far north are you?
    (Like from Brainerd----)

9. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

We're about 130 miles north and east of Brainerd. Last year on opening day it was -7. This year the opener was a bit warmer, but by the third weekend of season it will be some chilly. It's supposed to get down to 18 tonight.

10. tallpines

We are 130 miles east of Minneapolis.......
    Gets cold here, also-------but then I head to the house where its nice and toasty.

I have already taken a shot from inside the house....(after opening the window).

I have a DS who is a Game Warden on Lake Mil Lac--------he can tell some good "cold weather" stories!

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................I was under the impression that Minne-sota had Elk and Moose as well as white tail deer . Are you'll referring to White tail as we have Mule Deer here in the Southwestern mountain portion of Texas . They get somewhat heavier than White Tail here in Texas , ...fordy... :eek: :)

12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Minnesota has white-tail and moose. I think that I was heard of a very small elk herd in NW Minnesota....I think about a dozen animals, plus or minus.

Haggis, I'm with you about the smell thing. I've seen deer while smoking a cigar. About the candle below the lawn chair, my only advice is to make darn sure that you don't eat beans the night before!

13. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: Good advice Cabin!
    To keep warm, I wear coveralls.
    I have long zippers sewn into the inseams of the legs so that when "Nature calls" I don't have to take off my vest, unzip my warm coveralls and strip down, (freezing everything) before I can answer the call.
    This way, I just unzip the legs and the coverall legs are loose like a huge skirt.

Sorry if this is more information than you needed. :D :

14. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

This made me remember a canoe trip of 30 odd years ago. Four married couples, including Herself and me, spent several cays floating down a river. Well, nature does call, and after a day or two most of us were not as bashful as we had been on day one. One of the ladies who was terribly shy always hid behind the biggest tree she could find. However, in one instance she was well hid behind the aforementioned tree but upon "squatting" to commense opporations her "amperstand" extended well beyond the tree. Her face was well hidden but her "however" was not. Her husband motioned to me and I took a hasty photo of her business end in mid-tinkle.

No one mentioned this at all. When the photos came back from the shop we all got together for a campfire, popcorn, grog, and pass around smokes. Again, while looking at the photos no one mentioned the bare bottom nor its activity. The lady in question thought she was the first to notice it and made unending fun of whomever it was whose full moon was thusly exposed, and so engaged.

Slowly she began to recreate the canoe trip in her own mind and it hit her that the blue moon shinning was her's. We thought it was a hoot, she didn't, she and hubby parted ways over the ordeal.

I still have the photo.

15. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: :haha: Good one Haggis!

16. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

LOL
    They got divorced over the photo??? sheesh thats a lil crazy