keeping them clean?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by kesoaps, Aug 5, 2005.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

We're supposed to be bathing our dorsets for the fair. How???

The biggest problem is the ram lamb, who is having a tough time adjusting to eating a richer hay. His entire underside is poopy...and it's dried and difficult to get off. It's very close to the skin, especially his private parts :p He was not happy when we tried bathing him yesterday, and I'm clueless how to get him cleaned up!

BTW, I'm pulling him off the hay, as even a handful seems to be an issue for him.

2. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

Kesoaps... Since Dorsets can be shown in the meat or wool divisions, which will yours be shown in?

In the wool division, they will need to be fitted and in the meat, slick sheared and washed like the Suffolk and Hamp.

as for the poopy bum...depends on the above... If he will be slick sheared, it will all come off. If you are fitting him in wool, leave the poop dry and take a curry comb and rake it off the best you can, dry. It will come off surprisingly well. Wet just makes a mess but if its really bad sometimes you have no choice. As for his testicles? We just let those be if in wool. Sheared if slick shearing.
    We leave for a show on Tuesday so im out there fitting too...very time consuming, isnt it? We keep ours blanketed to help preserve each fitting between shows but still find it takes an hour to an hour & a half each to ready them again . 45 minutes for the meat breeds to slick and wash.
    We wash the slick sheared sheep the morning of the show. Be sure to rinse, and rinse again and when you think your almost done, rinse again...if any of the soap stays in, they will turn yellow in that spot... You can use a fancy bluing soap or dishwashing soap ( I think any of the lemon ones work great)
    Trim feet, wash face and eyes and ears and clean ear tags too...
    I hope his poop firms right up for you...sometimes they are nervous being transported to and from shows too. Do you have any Sulmet to add to his water at the show? A couple cap fulls added to his bucket will help.

3. kesoaps

Unfortunately, we don't have a choice between the two. We've got a dual purpose class for dorsets, romney and the like. I spoke with the breeder today, who told me a bucket of soapy water and a wash cloth is what I needed, so guess we'll be back at it on Sunday afternoon!

Yes, time consuming! I think I'm going to enjoy the icelandics, lol!

4. livestockmom

Kesoaps, Is it already slick sheared?

If so, A bucket of soapy water and a stiff brush to scrub and rinse very well and towel dry. If it is slick sheared you can put on a nylon sleazy to keep it clean and tight til show...worth it if you have different shows to go to.

5. kesoaps

No slick shearing. They want some fleece on the dual purpose sheep (and I'd like it a bit longer so I can spin it!) I'll need to put together blankets for both dorsets that are going. This is becoming a royal pain, especially since it's not my kid showing, he's on loan but living here. I'd just leave him be, but it's a reflection back to us, so cleaned up he will get!

Thanks for the tips regarding rinsing and such. I think I've still got some bluing around here somewhere.

Good luck at your show!

6. livestockmom

Can't wait to hear how you do!