Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :) I'm considering buying about 5 goat kids (does) so I can milk/breed a few pedigree kids each year. I've already ruled out Nubians due to their incredible jumping abilities and I think most likely Saanens, Toggenburgs or British Alpines. I've got a paddock for them, it's fenced for sheep, netting and a barb wire on top, if I add an electric wire will that be enough to keep them in? I've had a Nubian Saanen x before, she scaled the 6ft cattle yard with no problems. Is it just impossible to keep them in?
Sheepy

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Honestly,I've never seen any connection between breed and climbing ability. Also, all goats I've seen that climb fences when young no longer do so when they're older. I actually think it's learned. If you run electric at the top and another strand along the bottom it should train them quick to stay away from fencing. Also, I reccomend taking down the barbed wire... it just isn't good for goats as they will hurt themselves on it SOMEHOW, lol. So actually,go with any breed/cross you like the looks of. Beware toggs as they were bred for years for cheese-quality milk and are known for their strong, often unpleasant tasting milk. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might avoid the Toggs then. I have been told that Nubians were the hardest to keep in???? Maybe it's all about the individual goat!
Sheepy

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
Actually, I believe that, if they're happy where they are, they won't have a need to try to get out. Mine are in very large (acre at least) fenced areas that get rotated throughout the year. They have plenty of browse, fresh water a couple of times a day, shelter, shade, and buddies with them. None of mine are fence climbers or have escaped (yet). Unless, of course, I've been fool enough to forget to secure a gate . . :)

NeHi

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I have 4 Nubian goats in a half-acre. The fence is 5' all around. They don't really make any escape attempts. They're pretty content. As long as they've got plenty of browse and nothing on the other side that looks better (to a goat) then they don't really have the inclination to get out, or at least these sedate mamas don't. About one day a week I turn them out into other pastures so they can get a variety of other things, but for the most part they only forage in this one pasture.

If the area you have them in gets eaten down to bare dirt and there's nothing for them to eat or do in there, then expect ALL breeds to try and escape.

·
Pure mischief
897 Posts
I am a fan of Alpines. I couldn't keep my Nubians in to save my life - and believe me, they had no reason to be escaping!!! The alpines weren't as determined to get out. I have a friend with Toggs and none of these problems and so I'd consider some of her Toggs.

I would also second the "switch the barbed wire to hot wire". Hot wires are great for keeping everything in -in and everything out - out. I won't go back now that I have mine - very worth the initial investment. With the barbed wire they don't get the consistent reinforcement that it bites -sometimes it will and sometimes not and eventually, IME, someone (you or a goat or someone) will get hurt on it.

·
Premium Member
15,826 Posts
I don't have any trouble keeping my 3 nubian wethers in a 1 acre pasture surrounded by 3 wire electric fencing but there is plenty of browse and they know how much the fence hurts.

The alpine wethers last year were bouncing all over compared to these nubians. I've got 2 concrete covered ramps leading to the roof of their shelter I've never seen the nubians on top. The alpines would have camped up there from the first day and been bouncing off the roof like popcorn.

·
Working toward the dream
1,008 Posts
We started with an Alpine, a Nubian, and a Saanen.... none of them really tries to escape. We now have 7 goats total. If they find a hole in the fence, yes, they will go through it. I guess my goats are content. They have big wooden spools to play on and are well fed and always have plenty of fresh water.

Kitty

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not trying to starve them or deprive them of water. This paddock has plenty of grass to keep 10 sheep fat and happy, so I'm sure 5 goats will do fine. There isn't any trees in this paddock, only a large pine on the other side of the fence that supplies ample shade. There is a water trough also. I think the paddock is about 2-3 acres in size. I'm going to put up the hot wire. I'm still undecided on breed, finding any sort of pedigree goat around here is nearly impossible, someone recently tried to sell me a Nubain kid buck with a hernia for $300!
Sheepy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts