Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And out of the garbage!

Penny is one and I am STILL having trouble with her jumping up to steal things off the kitchen counters and ripping into the trash :viking: so I thought I would ask you all how you have broken your dogs of those two bad habbits? Right now she has to sleep the night in her box and when we go out she is in it too so I REALLY want to let her have the roam of the house but cant till I sort those issues.

Any suggestions welcome!

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
I'd put empty cans or something (pots, pans etc) on the counter that would make a racket and crash to the floor when she gets up there. That might make her think twice before doing it again.

Just reread and saw abut the trash. They make doggie-no spray for doggies just like yours. Douse the trash with it and let her get a whiff.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I've used new, clean mouse traps with some success, but the naughty Basset was clever enough to figure out that when they were gone she was safe, INCLUDING after she'd sprung them that they couldn't fire again. She's trained us well to put things up higher than I've ever had to before.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
At one year of age, it still has a lot of puppy traits. Patience, patience and more patience.

One thing, don't leave anything on the countertops to tempt her! I know that's a bother but it helps her not to go exploring! (BTW, I will be going through this shortly with a kitten, so I understand. She is eying the countertops daily, trying to figure out how to get up there.)

I use drop cans. I rinse and dry soda cans, put a few pennies in each and seal them with tape. I line the countertops with them (A BIG bother!). They jump, cans fall and clank and scare the bejesus out of them.

We had a poodle that would knock over the trash can whenever we left him alone. We simply put the trash can where he couldn't get to it. There is spray to put on the cans but I don't know the name of it!

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Some dogs just can't be trusted unless they're directly being supervised. I've had dogs who would ignore a steak left on a plate on the floor in front of them after being told to leave it alone and I've currently got one who's been known to get treats down off the top of the fridge. And one who's been known to eat raw spaghetti noodles and styrofoam meat trays. And, once, three dozen bagels ... in one sitting.

(The bagels came back up, but I never saw the meat trays again.)

If she can't be trusted, you'll just have to remove temptation. Either put stuff up where she can't get it, or block her out of the kitchen.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I do I stop a cat from getting into the cabinets and running off with differnt things not always food items.
I am thinking my only choice is to some how lock them all this cat is very good at opening the doors she even took the duct tape off.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I bought a kitchen trash can with a lid and foot pedal because the foster dog we have right now gets into the trash (and yarn and laundry...) It's great. I love it. I also got a small one for the bathroom. They are made by simply human and are not cheap- but worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the consensus seems to be a clean kitchen?

I'M DOOOOOOOOOMED:eek:

Oh, she is also a clepto, everything she can nick off the floor finds its way into her bed and she just got her nose down so walks are no longer fun as she is obsessing on smells and not behaving so much new work to do on dog, any ideas on training a R&W setter to hunt kids and not birds lol

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I taught my Irish Setter to find things. They are pretty smart and catch on quickly to anything that is a game. If your dog knows the kid's names, she can be taught to find them in a hide and seek game. Her reward is giggles and hugs. You'll have to do the initial training in the house, then close to the house, and gradually get farther away from the house.

She picks things up because she is a retriever. Make a game of it. She should be learning "give and "take".and "fetch", which she will love.

BTW, if you didn't want a dog hunting birds maybe you should not have gotten a bird dog?

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW, if you didn't want a dog hunting birds maybe you should not have gotten a bird dog?
ROFLOL

Hunting isnt the problem, her now LUNGING after them is a bit lol

She is settling in to a totally new place like the rest of us but as she had unrestricted run of two acres in our last house and is now on just a leash she is finding it a little harder than the rest of us. At the moment we are looking for somewhere for her to run like a dog park and are going to get her a treadmill to help settle her BEFORE we go out for a walk to help her focus on her manners instead of trying to flatten small children to get to that pesky bird that had the gall to take wing in front of her :viking:

Silly ***** she is but she is the best canine I have had for many a year so I wont put her on the menu quite yet despite what I tell her after a disastrous walk (wink) and its such a pleasure to have a dog with out a kill impulse, she keeps cornering lizards in the pool cage but wont hurt them and its such fun to torture her by giving her an egg and watching the soft mouthed cow try to get into it without biting down..................

dog abuse in its finest form :happy:

I think we will try the hide and seek with the kids as she will enjoy it as much as they will, any tips to how to start the game?

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I think we will try the hide and seek with the kids as she will enjoy it as much as they will, any tips to how to start the game?
My dog loved hide and seek. She got real good at it too. The kids could hide anywhere outdoors while I kept her inside. Then I would take her out and tell her to "go find her!" and she did, everytime.

I started in the house. While I held the dog, the kids would hide behind a door. I let the dog watch them hide so she knew where they were at first. The kids would call her and at the same time I told her to find them and let her go. Then I'd let the dog watch the room they went into but not the place they were hiding. Next, she was in a different part of the house and couldn't even see the kids before I sent her. Eventually, she understood what I was telling her and would find them anywhere inside or out. It's great game if the dog wants to do it. It's amazing to see them following the scent and finding the kids.

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
I have a 80 lb chocolate lab who loved getting on the counter ( ate a WHOLE PORK LOIN!!) and in the garbage. So what we did to "SOLVE" it was take a q tip w/ nail polish remover rubbed it all over the top of the garbage, and along the "FRONT" edge of the counter.... STopped her cold in her tracks!! hasnt had an issue since!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts