keeping squirrels out of a garden ~ EVIL squirrels

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by muggin_girl, Apr 21, 2005.

1. muggin_girl

muggin_girl Active Member

I have this really evil nasty squirrel who is very agressive. I was hoping that he didn't survive the winter but the thing is back. He lunges for you, puffs up his tail and makes this clicking noise. I love animals but really don't like this guy. I called the city and they told me that he is considered domesticated wild life so unless he bites me there isn't much they can do. But if I take a shovel to him (and trust me it has crossed my peacenic loving mind) I will be charged. Does anyone know of anything that turns squirrels off or repels them? And I refuse to spend $175 to get a company to come trap him!!!!!!!! Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Liquid or pwdered coyote urine is supposed to work good. It DID work onthe rabbits at the air station.

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a nasty little squirrel like that too. Sits up on the power line, blesses out the dog and urinates on him. (Yeah, the dog's a little slow...)

I throw stuff at the little tree rat. Apples, rocks, whatever's handy. Thought about taking a wrist rocket out there and blasting the little blighter with paint balls. ;)

BTW, did you know that squirrels are mighty tasty?

Pony!

4. muggin_girl

muggin_girl Active Member

I am not sure where one is suppose to get coyote urine in any form. And though I am sure that it works but had to giggle at the thought of going to the local walmart and requesting it. I guess I will just have to go toe to toe with the vermit and see who wins, :haha:

5. baysidebunny

baysidebunny Well-Known Member

6. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

A live trap, a bag, and an exhaust pipe come to mind.

7. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

Muggin Girl,

I have found powdered coyote urine at one of the large, local gardening centers, specifically Dan West Gardening Center in Eads, TN.

You won't find it at WalMart, of course, but surely you have a large, local gardening center in your area -- you know, that place where you can get all those oddball kinds of things that only a gardener can love.

If you just don't know of a place, I guess you could call Dan West down in Tennessee, and they could ship it to you.

8. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

SSS. That usually means shoot, shovel (bury) and shut up. In your case I'd say smack (with the shovel), shovel and shut up. If you have very close neighbors who will turn you in there's Plan B.

Plan B involves a D-Con and peanut butter sandwich tossed to the squirrel.

9. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi muggin_girl;
    We had an evil squirrel that tried to invade our house. He gnawed on wood and somehow kept getting in under the tin top and made a nest there. After beating on the ceiling and running him out, we removed a section of the ceiling scattered/sprinkled cayenne pepper all over the area and replaced the ceiling. We sprinkled the cayenne on the area he entered our home. He returned but soon left.
    tamilee

10. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

How's you're aim? Get a super-soaker type squirt gun, the kind with the water tank that kids play with.

11. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

If you live close you can borrow my dogs. They give anything living nearby the big bark from tree to tree until they get hoarse. You should see them squirrels run when I let the dogs out in the morning!!!! :haha:
    One of my dogs is unfixed, and that help to deter any animals, no matter what the vet says.

12. kathrynlmv

kathrynlmv Well-Known Member

Squirrels can be awful. I had a real time with some who took over my farmhouse. The best repellents are: moth balls....(but you might want to be careful where you put them in regards to a garden) and traps that you can sometimes get agricultural agents or local forest agents (for free) to loan you or set up for you and take back to nature parks. Kathrynlmv