keeping seed tators

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MullersLaneFarm, Oct 6, 2004.

1. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

I have some blue tators I'd like to save for seed next spring. How
    do I store them successfully over the winter?

Thanks much!

2. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We keep our seed taters in apple crates or bushel baskets. Put them layered with newspaper in case we get a bad one and cover to keep out the light. You could use stout boxes,too.We very carefully sort them before saving but you never know when one will spoil and ruin a bunch of others. We have baskets for the big bakers, the medium ones for mashies and fries and small(plum size at least) for seed. then a bucket for the "oops" ones that DH stabs with his fork when we are digging...eat them up fast. The wee ones we cook up for topping off the dogs food...they love 'em raw,too. We built a insulated storage room in our garage back in Y2K days and it stays a very consistent temp all year round. You could also store in a cool closet or basement or even garage if you know it doesn't freeze ...just keep them in the dark totally until you want to plant them next year. Old time farmers used to them bring them out, set them on special racks and expose to light to make them sprout. DEE who always plants too many taters and next year is planting them all in straw...even though the kids are protesting as they love the "treasure hunt" of digging potatoes!!! :)

3. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Didn't mention that we only save round or oval taters for seed, no lumpy bumpy ones. Don't know if it matters....does anyone know? Just figure we should save the best just like anyother seed we'd keep. DEE

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Mutti, I know! It does not matter what shape of tuber you use. Each is a genetic clone of the parent regardless of what it looks like. If I save my own, it's only the smaller ones. The only thing I want is at least 2 or 3 good eyes on them. That only eliminates the "marbles" which may only have 1 or 2 weak eyes.

Martin

5. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great information! I have just the place in the cellar.

I need to talk Paul into walling off the furnace down there so the rest of the cellar can be kept cooler. Our house was built in the late 1800's and the cellar use to be root cellar. When the furnace was added, a thin pad of cement was poured and placed down there.

"Mutti", my daughter started calling me that when she began German language lessons.

6. stonerebel

stonerebel Well-Known Member

Here in the deep south we store them under our house, its a cool spot and it stays dry.